A while ago I purchased an application called "RPG Maker XP" for a project that my friends wanted to help out with (they have NO programming knowledge at all). We have completed a game, but it is, you know, un-original. We need something to spice it up -- RGSS (Ruby Game Scripting System), included, does this. I know Ruby, but is RGSS any different?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a book or tutorial for RGSS or RPG Maker XP Scripting?

Thanks in advance.

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gamingfan1993

I guess no one uses RGSS?

Hey, I use RPG Maker XP and its RGSS. It's basically the same as programming Ruby normally, but you will notice a bar of contents on the left. These contain the individual lines of code for each part of your game. If you want a method or variable that is just for a certain part, put it in here. If you want to add a variable to a certain place but want it to be affect the whole program then on, just start the variable name with a "$" (eg. $var3). This is useful for, say, putting a variable to be activated on the shop command and putting an "if" function after it; so that the first time the character enters a shop, it shows a tutorial on how to use the shop. The RGSS makes it so that there are any number of possible applications that you can create and use in RPG Maker XP.

Actually; making a "tutorial" appear the first time a user uses a shop doesn't need scripting. Many things that you can script don't really need to be. All you would need to do is:

@>Conditional Branch: Variable [0004: Times_Shopped]==0
@>Text: How to use a shop:
: You can buy and sell items in shops all over the land.
: Very useful!
@>Text: Would you like to shop now?
@>Show Choices: Yes, No
: When [Yes]
@>Jump to label: Branch1
@>
: When [No]
@>
: Branch End
@>
: Else
@>Jump to Label: Branch1
@>
: Branch End
@>Control Variables: [0004: Times_Shopped]+=0
@>Label: Branch1
@>Shop Processing: [Potion]

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.