Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good java ide.
I have tried netbeans but i find it very confusing to use. I am looking for a very simple but free java ide to use. Can anyone recommend.

Thank You

Richard West

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

You can use JCreate which is free and you can download it from www.download.com

Have you looked into Eclipse?

Definitely look into using Eclipse http://eclipse.org . I eschewed IDEs for a long time. I've tried all the commercial IDEs and disliked them. I was probably the only developer in my department who still used the console text editor vim exclusively. Finally Eclipse crept up on me; I felt like I had been technologically ignorant and asleep for the years that Eclipse existed and I had not been using it.

:D

Hi everyone,
One of my friends recommended me a java ide called Java IDE 1.7
It seems to be a very simple ide to use. This ide is something like borland's
turbo c compiler.

Just thought you guys would like to know.

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

I would recommend Netbeans. The last versions are very good. Netbeans also gives J2EE, SOA, Mobility and other things for free which may be interesting for you.

I would recommend Netbeans. The last versions are very good. Netbeans also gives J2EE, SOA, Mobility and other things for free which may be interesting for you.

Just forgot to post a link: http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/55/index.html

This is the Enterprise Pack preview with SOA, XML tools and other staff

Why do you recommend Netbeans to someone who tried it and wants something else?

there is no best, just personal preference.

Of course. And I was expressing mine. I certainly wouldn't give a strong recommendation to something I had no experience with.

The best thing about Eclipse is its portability. Once you know it in one place, you know it in any environment where it runs.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

>Once you know it in one place, you know it in any environment where it runs.

Much like doing stuff from the command line.

http://bluej.org/I think that's the most simple ide I've used. Currently, I have to use TextPad in school. It's quite annoying to see a school using TextPad and not even having paid for it. So every hour I get a little "buy me now" reminder. Cheap school. But TextPad is about as simple as notepad, but I wouldn't reccommend it for large projects.

blueJ doesn't teach Java (it hides pretty much everything from the user), and is way too limited for serious use.

Eclipse is nice, but nothing I've used beats JBuilder. IDEA is supposed to be very very good as well, but I've not used it yet (am somewhat planning to purchase it, maybe next year or 2008).

BlueJ is the worst IDE out there. It doesn't even work properly. Sometimes it tells you that you have a syntax error when you don't. In order the fix that you have to click compile 900 times and it finally compiles without error. It also has trouble with comments and locks up at least once every use.

Netbeans - it has everything you will ever need...

Again people this is personal opinion

Netbeans - it has everything you will ever need...

I tried JCreator, which I like it for simplicity, had quick look on Eclipse, that is great with all additional plugins. I also tried NetBeans, which is great as being free IDE, however after spending last 8 months working with IntelliJ Idea I would'nt trade it (money well spent)

eclipse is a very good IDE for java .

I'm getting a terrible sense of deja-vu here...

I'm getting a terrible sense of deja-vu here...

True... true...

i personally use bluej and have had no problems with it, and i really enjoy the code window, the only complaint i have with it is no code completion otherwise i like it a lot

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.