Hi there, I was wondering if there was an easy way to read the first four bytes of a file. The ones in particular I'm looking for are 49 42 53 50 ("IBSP") and 46 42 53 50 ("FBSP"), but that bit should be easy.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

When you say bytes do you really mean the first four bytes or do you mean the first four numbes? I have a suspicion you mean the latter.

Uhh... the first four hexadecimal numbers if you open the file in a hex editor. As I evidently didn't imply, when you open it in Notepad, the first four characters are either IBSP or FBSP.

Try this:

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        TextBox1.Text = String.Empty
        Using fs As New FileStream("c:\test.txt", FileMode.Open)
            fs.Position = 0
            Using br As New BinaryReader(fs)
                For x As Int16 = 0 To 3
                    TextBox1.Text &= Asc(br.ReadChar) & " "
                Next
            End Using
        End Using
    End Sub

Hmm... Type 'FileStream' is not defined :/

import System.IO

hi i'm yasser from iraq i'm in the last year in computer science and i have project abaut the encryption on the mpeg file by using vb6 and i realy do not known any think about reading firt 4 byte from mpeg file i need your help and i must read this file by using open function

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.