I am currently working in Vb6 and ASP 2.0 and planning to switch to .Net. I have very little knowledge about it, so would be obliged if someone offers some answers to these Qs.

1. What software do I need ? MS Visual Studio.Net ?

2. Can I have VB6 and VB.net running in the same m/c ?

3. Which .net framework should I install ?

4. what are the system requirements ? RAM / Processor / HDD Space etc

5. Can s/w developed in .net run without the framework ? What files should be included in the installation CD ? (Like just providing an .exe in VB6 doesn't work if target m/c doesn't have VB runtime)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Answers

1. What software do I need ? MS Visual Studio.Net ?
Visual Studio.NET 2005 is the Latest but 2008 Will be out in February

2. Can I have VB6 and VB.net running in the same m/c ?
Yes. .Net 2003/2005/2008 Beta and VB6 can all run on the Same Machine

3. Which .net framework should I install ?
VS.NET 2003 Requires .NET 1.1
VS.NET 2005 Requires .NET 2
VS.NET 2008 Beta Requires .NET 3.5
The .NET Framework is supplied with VS

4. what are the system requirements ? RAM / Processor / HDD Space etc
I am running 2005 & 2008 on 1.8Ghz AMD Athlon 1Gb RAM Systems and they run smooth

5. Can s/w developed in .net run without the framework ? What files should be included in the installation CD ? (Like just providing an .exe in VB6 doesn't work if target m/c doesn't have VB runtime)
No You will need to Delpoy the Requried .NET Freamwork to any client machines but once .NET is installed your apps will work fine

.NET has been issued as a Windows Update so most Machines will already have it installed

Thanks a lot, Mr. Taylor. Your answers were very clear and helpful.

Regards

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.