:eek: Okay, Okay....so I made a Boo-Boo on my part.:o I have a fetish with changing the way my computer looks....(wallpaper, fonts, boot screens, taskbar....etc.....) Well I went and tweaked my computer, and tried to change the XP Boot screen by first backing up the ntoskrnl.exe file, then I extracted the new one I wanted to use, to a different folder....thenI restarted into safe mode....then I replaced the old ntoskrnl file with the new one......Well I though that everything was fine........
It starts up using my new boot screen, then when it is about to go to the blue screen, so that I can log in........it goes to a black screen, then restarts itself.
What did I do? :?: I even tried going back into safe mode and changing it back, but it restarts itself then too....
Someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!! How can I fix this? Can I fix it? Or I did I really F*** Up my whole computer? :rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

do a system restore back to before you changed it .
Click on Start
Control Panel
System
System Restore

if you didnt read my post I mentioned that changing the boot screen is not recommended, but mistakes happen, hope u can fix it

I wish that I could do a System Restore, but If you read my post....It tells you that I CAN NOT start my computer. So how would I do that if I cant even get the computer to boot up?

Anyone....PLEASE let me know what to do.....Should I boot up with the XP CD, and do a repair, or should I install windows again, or what?

I wish that I could do a System Restore, but If you read my post....It tells you that I CAN NOT start my computer. So how would I do that if I cant even get the computer to boot up?

Anyone....PLEASE let me know what to do.....Should I boot up with the XP CD, and do a repair, or should I install windows again, or what?

System File Checker is probably giving you a fit.

Since you took some precaution and made a backup of ntoskrnl, you can use the Recovery Console to delete the custom one you've made and rename the backup copy you have.

Short of that, repair option it is.

Hey guys and girls, I just signed up and I will start by saying Hi :cheesy: , I have the same problem going on with my laptop. But I didn't change anything other then load Knights of the old republic. After that the system crashed and now it makes it to the logo screen then restarts. I tried to repair it using my xp cd but all it does is ask me to type exit. I really need to get back on here and get two files off before I sucum to formatting it. If there are any ideas that can help I would be greatful. Thanks for anyones help.

Yes put your XP Disc in and wait until it gives you the option to instal or repair ,choose repair and when you choose the disc to repair and your password just type in fixboot

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.