I am trying to upgrade my media player to edition 11. but it stops in the middle and says, i need to visit microsoft and update my windows in Roll up 2. i visited the website but i keep getting lost. i don't even know what roll up 2 is?? i downloaded it but i am not even sure i downloaded the right thing and i still cannot install the Media player 11. Can someone help Please. thank you

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I don't understand this part:

1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click to select the Show Updates check box.
3. In the Currently installed programs list, look for the following item:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886904)
If this item appears, you must remove the hotfix. To remove the hotfix, click Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886904), and then click Remove. Then, visit the Windows Update Web sit to download and install Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

I do have the 1.1 hotfix but it saids it is KB928366. It has different number, do i remove this ?

I do have the 1.1 hotfix but it saids it is KB928366. It has different number, do i remove this ?

no ,only remove the one mentioned in the link,if it not there then you don't have to worry about removing anything. just go to the windows update link in the artical and get the roll up2.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

no ,only remove the one mentioned in the link,if it not there then you don't have to worry about removing anything. just go to the windows update link in the artical and get the roll up2.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

I was there and i did quick update but there is NO Roll up2 anywhere i can see ????

I was there and i did quick update but there is NO Roll up2 anywhere i can see ????

so,try the custom update and see if its there ,i cant look for it because i don't have same windows version as you, sorry

so,try the custom update and see if its there ,i cant look for it because i don't have same windows version as you, sorry

I did the custom update and it is not there either.

your welcome .I found that link by searching Google.com
im not sure if anything could make windows Better.lol a format maybe lol

your welcome .I found that link by searching Google.com
im not sure if anything could make windows Better.lol a format maybe lol

Actually, i just hope the Update doesn't screw up the window i had, that is all. anyway, thank you for your brilliant helpful tips.

Actually, i just hope the Update doesn't screw up the window i had, that is all. anyway, thank you for your brilliant helpful tips.

i use to do it all the time on computers i was fixing ,and never had a problem,so hopefully all goes well for you too

i use to do it all the time on computers i was fixing ,and never had a problem,so hopefully all goes well for you too

One thing i am noticing after the Update is that occasionally the computer is getting stuck or freeze, however you like to put it. I can still move my mouse but i just can't do anything once the computer freezes. then it will unfreeze itself in 3-4 minutes if i leave it alone. what do you think could be causing this ??? thanks.

One thing i am noticing after the Update is that occasionally the computer is getting stuck or freeze, however you like to put it. I can still move my mouse but i just can't do anything once the computer freezes. then it will unfreeze itself in 3-4 minutes if i leave it alone. what do you think could be causing this ??? thanks.

not sure ,try using ccleaner to clean temp files and other crap,also do the registry clean www.ccleaner.com
and also www.malwarebytes.org to scan for and remove all trojans ans malware fro mthe computer

not sure ,try using ccleaner to clean temp files and other crap,also do the registry clean www.ccleaner.com
and also www.malwarebytes.org to scan for and remove all trojans ans malware fro mthe computer

This freeze problem seem to happen when i am switching webpages. i have about 13 webpages open at the same time so i can save time. I Know that this is not recommended but i never had problem with this in the past cause i have fairly fast processor. but after the update, it would freeze for few seconds or minutes when i go from one open site to another open site. do you think it is a memory problem ?

do you think it is a memory problem ?

not likely ,if it didn't happen before the update ,it must be a problem caused by the update one would think!

not likely ,if it didn't happen before the update ,it must be a problem caused by the update one would think!

I am getting an occasional pop up saying that my virtual memory is low. i think that is what is causing the problem. what do you think ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.