In case you're wondering, VB6 programs run on Windows 11. Programs with a manifest have the appropriate Windows 11 appearance. The IDE works as well, although it seems to aggravate the known Windows 11 Taskbar flickering issue, but it settles down quickly.

The only issue I have found so far is that command button mnemonics do not appear after pressing the Alt key is you use a manifest. This can be solved by 1) not using a manifest file, or 2) changing the Windows setting to always show mnemonics.

Please note, I started with Windows 10 and upgraded to Windows 11. I assume an original Windows 11 install would work the same.

Best wishes to all.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Even back in Windows 10 we encountered too many issues that we declared the end of VB6 development at the office. Maybe a hobbyist may persevere but for us, there was time to move on.

Understood. I was just posting for the many people that have no choice but to maintain VB6 code for love or money. As I understand it, there is still LOTS of critical business code in VB6 for one reason or another. Thus the continued work from MS to ensure VB6/VBA still runs, while not supporting the language or its development.

In our office it was time to move on as the cost to maintain was growing. We could keep going on but the prices for legacy work had to increase just like they did for COBOL work. It's cheaper to move to a current language here. But for love and enthusiasts, by all means keep going.

There's another issue that we couldn't fix. Microsoft won't sell licenses for this old system. And before you say Ebay or such, we found those to be pirated so no more from there. Sorry for the typo above. I meant "this was time to move on."

Agreed! Moving to a current language has many benefits. I'm sure for some it's not possible. Having said that, I'd be a little bit leary of one from MS (other than C++ C#) as they seem to abandon languages often.

That's an interesting take on language abandonment. I've heard folk tire of the treadmill where you might (just might) move your Visual Studio kit up every 2 to 4 years. Then again, Windows itself has some upset as new versions roll out. But we can look at any mainstream OS and they don't sit still.

VB has not been abandoned. VB6 is however so old nobody should be surprised if it's no longer being maintained, it's been long since replaced with new versions.

For what it's worth, when I retired in 2008 and started writing code just for myself, I wrote everythig in vb.net. A few years ago I made the move to Python/wxPython and never looked back. I wanted to refactor/enhance one of my apps and I ended up just redoing it entirely in Python. It was faster, easier, smaller, and much easier to understand. It was also fun.

There's a saying, "just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad, and just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better." It does not apply here.

commented: indeed, vb6 wasn't much good even when new ;) +16

How you fix the taskbar flickering?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.