My laptop seldom leaves my house. When I am not using it I close the lid to put it into sleep mode. I also close the lid when carrying it to another room (or perhaps into the backyard hammock). This causes a minor inconvenience as every time I open the lid I have to enter my password to unlock it. On my old (Windows 10) laptop I was able to turn this off but because Microsoft keeps changing the layout of the Settings app I had to Goggle to find out how to disable this in Windows 11. The new process was

1. Open Settings
  2. Select Accounts
  3. Select Sign-in options
  4. Scroll down to Additional settings

Under Additional settings there is a section with the text If you've been away when should Windows require you to sign in again?" To the right of this is a drop-down box with the default text Every Time. According to Google (and Microsoft) I simply have to select a different option, like Never**.

That would be the case if the entire section were not greyed out and followed by the text Windows Hello is preventing some options from being displayed.

The recommended solution from Microsoft was to

1. Install the latest version of Windows
  2. Apply all outstanding Windows updates
  3. Run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit
  4. Run the built-in troubleshooter
  5. Remove Windows Hello and re-install it

Since I keep my laptop current I focused on Windows Hello. Specifically, Windows Hello is used to facilitate access via PIN, facial recognition, or fingerprint. Because my laptop has a fingerprint reader I didn't want to risk breaking it by uninstalling so kept looking.

The solution was in the command line tool, powercfg.exe. This built-in tool allows access to a wide range of setting unavailable through the Settings app. The simple fix, in my case, was to run two commands in an Admin shell.

powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0
powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0

The first line disables automatic console locking when the machine is put into sleep mode when running off battery (DC). The second does the same when running non-battery (AC).

Now I can put my laptop to sleep and forego the password. If I want to lock and require a password I just press WINKEY+L. And I still have Windows Hello available. I have to wonder why this setting is disabled (greyed out) when it is clear that disabling the password requirement is obviously compatible with Windows Hello?

You may want to type "powercfg /?" to see the full list of options available.

rproffitt commented: "Jim, it goes to 11." reference: Spinal Tap +17

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Good detective work! I really like Windows 11, but the list settings are becoming quite extensive and almost overwhelming. Some of it' quirks can drive a person nuts. The latest for me is Windows desktop Spotlight has quit working, which seems to have been an issue going back couple years for some. I made no changes to my desktop settings. It just booted up to Windows "Bloom" one morning and Spotlight wasn't working. I've tried just about all the suggestions found online to no avail. Anyway, good work.

Try going into

Personalization -> Lock Screen

Select some option other than Windows Spotlight, exit, and reboot. Then go set it back to Windows Spotlight.

Tried that. Oddly enough, Spotlight works on the Lock Screen, but not the desktop.

G'day Reverend Jim,

Could you please tell me which version of windows 11 you are using ?
Win 11 Home /or/ win 11 Pro /or/ Win 11 Enterprise ?

Also is the versioo you are on, at 22H2 ? - [23H2 comming soon]

Regards
Roger Hass / PC-Bug Fixer now in Tanilba Bay NSW 2319 Australia

G'day mate. Windows 11 Home 22H2 build 22621.2134

I have to wonder why this setting is disabled (greyed out) when it is clear that disabling the password requirement is obviously compatible with Windows Hello?

This is because it will invoke a security issue for most of the non-techy people those who are not aware of this new setting. They might think that their laptop will be locked when they close the lid; but it won't if the settings are like you explained.

I don't buy that explanation. They could as easily have added text warning "you must lock your computer manually if you select this option" instead of treating their users as idiot children.

By the way, Microsoft continues to be annoying as it seems they periodically reset this setting.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.