hi every 1 I am working at my graduation project using ASP. net and I want to know if it is possible to search my data base to get specific data and if it so could you tell which is the best way to do so and if you know some sites to help me

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

thanks but i work with SQL server with the ASP.net

Yeah, the tutorial set uses sql server too. There is also sample quiz engine video tutorial set in www.asp.net/learn

hi,
i think you are aware of sql queries.so ultimately you need to depend on sql query to filter the data.
my advice is:
suppose in your search page if keyword field(may be comma saparated) and button .and after click on search button you need to to display related data ok.
in pageload if(!ispostback) get all the data from table in to datatable dt(satic).and on every button click take the keywords,split if comma saparated,then generate a dynamic sql query(suppose 2 keywords or there you may need to search these 2 keywords in 4 -5 coloums) and take a dataview dv(static)

dv.Table=dt;
dv.rowfilter=dymanicquery;
gridview1.datasource=dv;
gridview1.Databind();

ok.
thank you

THANKS ALOT
ANOTHER THING IF I WANT TO GET THE INFORMATION FROM ANOTHER DATA BASE WHICH IS ALREDY BUILD WOULD IT BE EASIER AND HOW CAN I DO SO

THANKS AGAIN

hi,
i think u got my point .i didn't get the clarity wt u said in this question.
can u post the query clearly.so that i may help u.
thank you

i mean that if i want to use an external data base to get some information since our project is an online travel advisor we need to get the prices from web sites which mean that we will use their data base

is it possible to do so and how can it be done

i hope it clear enough now thank you

i mean that if i want to use an external data base to get some information since our project is an online travel advisor we need to get the prices from web sites which mean that we will use their data base

is it possible to do so and how can it be done

i hope it clear enough now thank you

Is the database hosted on the same network? If so, it's just a matter of connection strings. If it is not, and it's not publicly available across the internet, they need to have a web service available, which is a whole different animal. Please clarify so we can help you better.

Most likely for that type of question, cmhampton is right.

You will most likely need to get in touch with those who own the databases, and ask if there is a way to tap it. But you cannot just access any database anywhere. Most who are attempting what you do, look either for a publically available source, or end up paying for access in one way or another.

thanks SheSaidImaPregy, cmhampton

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.