Ok, so here is the problem. I googled this and this is a known issue, but I haven't seen any good solutions.

Let's say some clicks a button in an Update Panel (VS 2008). Let's say that button results in a Server.Transfer("somepage.aspx"). It doesn't work. Server.Transfer cannot be called from within an Update Panel.

So, how do I transfer the person to a new page and pass values??!

Thanks,
Eric

So how does that work? Because only in certain circumstances do I want to transfer the user to another page (and pass some values along)... othertimes I keep the user on the current page and update stuff within the panel?

Ah, I figured this one out. I guess if you want to use a server.transfer within an updatepanel you need to first ScriptManager1.RegisterPostBackControl(WhateverButton) so that the button causes the entire page to update.

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to thank you just in case you come across this. I had been having the exact problem and couldn't find a solution until I stumbled on this page. Thank you for taking the time to come back and answer your own question, it really helped me out!

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.