I'm using Visual Studio and I'm learning ASP.net, to learn I'm following the VWD Videos available on the Microsoft website.

I watched one of the videos and the guy used a Global.asax file, I followed exactly as I did but at the top of the file where the <%@ Application Language="VB" %> is it's underlined yellow (possibly some other colour in different colour schemes) and it gives me the following error:

"C:\Documen....\Scripts\Global.asax: ASP.net runtime error: There is no build provider registered for the extension '.asax'. You can register one in the <compilation><buildProviders> section in machine.config or web.config. Make sure it has a BuildProviderAppliesToAttribute attribute which includes the value 'web' or 'All'"

I managed to fix the problem by moving the Global.asax file back to the main folder (root folder) but when I have it in the Scripts folder I've made it messes up. I like to organise everything that I can, all the vb files of pages in a separate folder (that's another thing, how can I get it so the pages automatically create the VB pages in a certain folder and connect to it?) and stylesheets in another etc. but it doesn't seem to want to work with the Global.asax file. Is there anyway to fix this?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Please Organize the web.config and global.asax in the same folder

Regards
razool

I'm using Visual Studio and I'm learning ASP.net, to learn I'm following the VWD Videos available on the Microsoft website.

I watched one of the videos and the guy used a Global.asax file, I followed exactly as I did but at the top of the file where the <%@ Application Language="VB" %> is it's underlined yellow (possibly some other colour in different colour schemes) and it gives me the following error:

"C:\Documen....\Scripts\Global.asax: ASP.net runtime error: There is no build provider registered for the extension '.asax'. You can register one in the <compilation><buildProviders> section in machine.config or web.config. Make sure it has a BuildProviderAppliesToAttribute attribute which includes the value 'web' or 'All'"

I managed to fix the problem by moving the Global.asax file back to the main folder (root folder) but when I have it in the Scripts folder I've made it messes up. I like to organise everything that I can, all the vb files of pages in a separate folder (that's another thing, how can I get it so the pages automatically create the VB pages in a certain folder and connect to it?) and stylesheets in another etc. but it doesn't seem to want to work with the Global.asax file. Is there anyway to fix this?

can you please send the error snap?

Here's the screenshot, as you can see my Global.asax file and web.config file aren't in the same folder, and yes it does work if they're in the same folder :) but It would be nice to be able to organise it as I have done there as you may see on the right :(

Ah, thank you for clarifying that for me razool :) shame really, I like to keep everything neat and tidy heh.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.