Hello,

I have been working on a php/xml/ajax chat program which requires no database for the last few days and was wondering if anyone could test it out for me. It has a few bugs that I would love to have someone help me fix (I am running out of ideas). The chat works best in Internet Explorer, I am still working on the whole browser compatibility issue.

Here is the url: http://www.banditssoftball.org/chat/

All input is greatly appreciated, whether its good or bad.

If someone is looking for a chat program like this and wants the program, I will be glad to post the code. Just let me know.

Thanks,

kkeith29

Votes + Comments
Good job!!
Good app
Good job!
Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by joeidee
Featured Replies
    diafol 3,579   7 Years Ago

I'd like to say well done KK - great piece of coding, runs smoothly too. Know what you mean about the JS - yuk! Read More

type a user name and click register, i was updating some parts of it so it might not of been working right

Keith,
It looks nice, hard to see functioanlity when no one else is there. Nice that "Admin" tells who leaves the channel.
Maybe make it also echo *name* has joined the channel...

I would make the following change(s):
1: When a user types his/her text make it
so that either the enter key or the send
button would post the text.

2 The users area I would make it the
height as the chat window which would
auto scroll when there are enough users
in the room.

3 This is just a suggestion:
Make the users / chat screen align on
the top - bottom, then on the right side
maybe make something for smilies
since people like to use them?

Votes + Comments
Thanks for the suggestions

great suggestions Vai, i will take them into consideration.

I use to have the whole hit enter to send the message but javascript was being a pain. everything worked perfectly in IE but in FF nothing worked right. i just took it out. (will add it though once i figure it out)

i had plans to add smilies, fonts, colors ect once the application is sound and functioning properly.

chat is open again, its kind of stupid to have this thread when no one can access what I am asking them to look at.

a better version is coming along and i will have it availiable for download in a few days, if someone wants it.

Keith,

Looking better.
Make the text input area a little larger to loose the scroll Horizontal scroll bar(s).

Next:
when the type is displayed Have it something like:
<Nick> What they said....

chat is running again, i fixed a few problems and made the javascript more compatible with other browsers.

i would like someone to help me test this on other servers. If you would like to help let me know and I will send the application to you.

i know i closed it (this thing is starting to piss me off). i transfered folders and now i doesn't work?!?!?

i'll fix it soon.

fixed the problem. nothing was wrong with my code. i forgot that i changed the maximum user life to 3 seconds.

i'm such an idiot.

thanks professorPC

anyone else want to help?

recent update: users only can see new messages and not ones from before they log in.

do we need any thing special to check this?Is that the same link which you gave in your last post?

nothing has changed. what browser are you using? maybe its a browser compatibilty problem i need to fix.

currently i am trying to improve my chat by making it use less system resources. I am thinking about using a cache system to help with this.

Any ideas on how I should accomplish this? I have a few but I was trying to make sure there is not a better way.

Thanks,

kkeith29

The application is good.. But there is kinda delay (?).. umm..I think the 2 second delay is taking more time than that..
One more thing..

<test3> test
<test3> test33
<test3> test445
<test3> huh
<Admin> test4 has left the chat

I got kicked out of chat but wasn't redirected to the login page. I was still in the chat window.

<test3> huh
<Admin> test4 has left the chat
<test3> test
<test3> testtttt
<> huh

there is no name in the last message. That is, It still says I am test4, but it doesn't show "test4" in the users list.. It doesn't show my name (test4) when I enter a message. Check the attachment to see what I am talking about..

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.