Hi,
I have installed wordpress multiuser script on my vps host. when a user tries to upload a file, the script will create new folder, the new folders begin created are under apache ownership, that's why they are not accessable by normal users.

can someone guide me how to set the default new files/folders ownership?

i have to change it from apache to my own user.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi,
I have installed wordpress multiuser script on my vps host. when a user tries to upload a file, the script will create new folder, the new folders begin created are under apache ownership, that's why they are not accessable by normal users.

can someone guide me how to set the default new files/folders ownership?

i have to change it from apache to my own user.

Only the root user can change ownership. If you are root the command is chown.
http://linux.die.net/man/1/chown

If both the owner and group are apache, (and you're not root) you'll have to change the permisssions on the files you want to edit, to 777 temporarily.
Then change them back to a suitable permission after.

You could also ask your web host to do this for you, thought they probably won't like doing it over and over. You could ask them to put your ftp user in a group with Apache so you can share some permissions, not sure how secure that is though.

you should use fsniper. its a program that watches whatever directory you want it to and then executes specefied scripts. you can have it watch your upload folder and depending on what the filetype is, have it change ownership, move the file, rename the file, whatever you want. you can have it move music to another partition for music or have it automatically send any pictures uploaded to your flickr account if you decide to get really fancy with it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.