I have an enquiry concerning office 2007 automation on windows 2008 64bit.
Basically the issue is as follows:
· I'm using office 2007 automation on windows 2008 64bit, my solution is using excel office automation (Excel interop assemblies) from a .Net managed DLL to export reports in excel format from the server (windows 2008 64bit),
· The above DLL is called from an asp.net (hosted on IIS 7) web site to generate different Excel reports.
· The problem is that calling Excel automation function "Workbooks.Open" on windows 2008 64bit is always failing with the below error:
Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file ... There are several possible reasons:
• The file name or path does not exist.
• The file is being used by another program.
• The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently
I have checked and make sure that the files is there, it's not opened and the DCOM config for the "Excel Application" is set correctly, I can programmatically call a new Excel instance without errors e.g. (Excel.Application app= new Excel.Application())
The solution is working fine and correctly on (windows xp/ IIS 5) and (windows 2003/ IIS 6) but not on windows 2008 64bit/IIS7 which is my production environment where it always gives the above exception, unfortunately our restrictions for this case are:
1. I can't change our production environment to be windows 2003 server or a different windows server, the client insists on windows 2008 64bit edition.
2. I'm so tight in time that I don't want to invest in other development solutions or workarounds like OpenXML, I prefer to be able to solve the solution with no/ minimal development overhead.
Thanks for your rapid help and response,