Wasn't sure whether to put this in the beginners section or here, so sorry if this is in the wrong section. basicly i'm trying to create a simple login page (not too simple obviously). basicly i use the query shown bellow to gain the userID: SELECT UserID FROM tblUsers WHERE UserName=@Username AND Password=@Password;
Then on my login page i connect to the database and envoke the procedure setting the parameters etc before using the TRY block to attempt to validate the user, essentialy i have an integer intID thats set to 0 and that should be updated if the user details are correct (to another number) but it never does and so currently no-one is authorised to access my site if anyone can just take a look bellow and tell me where i'm screwing up i'd be very gratefull, i am a newbie to this so so it'll prob be something really dumb:

dim conn as new OleDbConnection("Provider=" & _
"Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=M:\FYP\project.mdb")

dim objCmd as OleDbCommand = new OleDbCommand _
("spValidateUser", Conn)
objCmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure

dim objParam as OleDbParameter
objParam = objCmd.Parameters.Add("@Username", OleDBType.BSTR)
objParam.Value = tbUsername.Text

objParam = objCmd.Parameters.Add("@Password", OleDBType.BSTR)
objParam.Value = tbPassword.Text

try
objCmd.Connection.Open
intID=CType(objCmd.ExecuteScalar, Integer)
objCmd.Connection.Close
catch ex as OleDbException
lblMessage.text = ex.Message
end try

if intID <> 0 then
Response.Cookies("authorise").Value = IntID
Response.redirect("main2.aspx")
else
lblMessage.Text = "<font color=red>Sorry, " & "invalid username of password </font><p>"
end if
end sub

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

So what is the issue? Is the if intID <> 0 giving you an issue?

My advice is take a look at the link in my sig to the UPDATED: ASP.Net Login Page, as it will give you code that is similar and may explain some things for you.

Hey, thanks a lot for the offer of code, it was actually a really stupid mistake on my part got the name of the database wrong so obviosly it wasn't connecting to anything to return a value, whoops :o

Hey no worries. :cool:

Feel free to ask questions anytime.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.