Hi Folks,

I am Doug Malsbury, a B.S. degree Chemist and PC compatible Systems Analyst. I am 58 yrs old and getting started learning PHP and MySQL on my own.

I will be browsing around here looking for hints and suggestions I can use in my efforts to learn creation of dynamic web pages. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

I've got an Apache web server running in my house (actually my wifes computer) with PHP and MySQL on it and it works, meaning I've set it up right! She is running an AMD 2100XP motherboard with 256 M RAM, A 30G HD and a 60G HD.

Hope to 'talk' w/you'all (yep, I'm a Texan, not native, but I got here as fast as I could!) later,

Doug
dmalsbury@satx.rr.com

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi, I just started learning PHP myself this week. I've already got a little background on SQL from school, so that helped me jump into things quickly, but within 2 days I had a working site with little trouble. Even though I have programming experience through java and others, I think you will find PHP just as easy to learn as I did.

well for both of you this will help alot, check out the code snippit area, i and many others have submitted code for your very purpose, download them, play with them, learn them =)! it will probably be the very best way to learn, that way you can see how things really work when it comes to the nitty gritty of things!

Hi, I just started learning PHP myself this week. I've already got a little background on SQL from school, so that helped me jump into things quickly, but within 2 days I had a working site with little trouble. Even though I have programming experience through java and others, I think you will find PHP just as easy to learn as I did.

Hi Phaelax,
My question is this, how can I get a working site as you did? I've written some code from out of a book called "PHP & MySQL for Dummies" by Janet Valade. The book guides you through creating a Pet Store with a members only section, but has a whole section missing. The code section called 'member_page.php' that's supposed to come up after the new member signs up. is missing from the book completely. I guess I'll have to create my own if I'm going to create a pet store. I'm more interested in creating a site that is "database driven". Also, I'd like to be able to get it to send me e-mail responses to forms I place on it. Any suggestions with that aspect?
Thanx in advance,
Doug

Hi,
Suggestion for newbies as you can start php mysql easy.
read tutorials on www.w3schools.org as i had think there tutorials are best for newbie or you can have tutorials at www.tizag.com .
you can make your own php/mysql website in just 2-3 days.

thankyou

Start off with something simple that you can explore in PHP and MySQL, like displaying a list of database items in a HTML table and then take it from there.

If you want some complex site, you can also use existing PHP scripts to do the job. You can find many free server-side scripts in this site:

www.opensourcecms.com

Good luck with your project.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.