Member Avatar for diafol

Don't know if this is the best place to ask (possibly networking - no prob if you move me). Here goes:

1. A website has its admin area and email hosted externally. The domain name belongs there. Called the 'website' from here on in.
2. A front-end (Joomla) has been developed and is used on a local webserver.

Here's the messed-up fix:

Website homepage www . example.com/index.php) holds a frame where the local joomla info (just an IP address) lives.
The admin area can be accessed directly from the website or from an iframe on one of the Joomla pages.

All this because we need the www . example.com name to be shown on all pages (local and remote). The problem arises from search engine returns. The joomla info (the bits we want the public to see) has the local IP address (obviously). Is there any way around this or a simpler method? Let's take it's not possible to combine the two on one server. I got bogged down with cURL and htaccess, but couldn't get to grips with it.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Is there some absolutely halting reason that the joomla stuff can't be hosted on the same server? It's not like its that hard to port a database and rsync code

Member Avatar for diafol

Unfortunately, there is an immovable object and an irresistable force. There are valid reasons to keep these separate, but I believe I have now cracked the problem. I may port the external to the local as suggested (some leverage needs to be applied - I may go in for some skullduggery or blackmail) or I'll just change the dns A record. The latter seems to be the easiest method.

Thanks for the advice.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.