I have a slideshow of quotes based on the "Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.1)" at Dynamic Drive: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

This is right under my navigation bar, and the drop-down menu items are hidden behind the javascript slideshow.

Some background: The reason I did it this way because I first started out with a Flash banner with quotes fading in and out, and I ran into the problem with the drop-down menu items hiding behind the Flash... of course I Googled that and found the solution.

But in the meantime I played with the javascript slideshow and it worked better for me because it was easier to add new quotes just within the html, without having to go back and edit the Flash item.

Anyway, so is there a solution to the drop-downs being hidden behind the .js slideshow? Or should I go back to the Flash? Or is there some other sort of solution or script that would fit my needs better?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

try
styling the menu, set the z-index of the UL LI whatever to a very high number, it should then sit on top of everything else
or set the slideshow to a negative number and it should slide under

default z-index 1, higher numbers sit on top lower numbers sit below

example only ignoring gross colors:)

ul.menu { background:pink; color: green; display:inline-block; z-index:100; }
ul.menu ul { background:pink; color: green; display:none; z-index:100; }
.slideshow {z-index: -100; }

try
styling the menu, set the z-index of the UL LI whatever to a very high number, it should then sit on top of everything else
or set the slideshow to a negative number and it should slide under

default z-index 1, higher numbers sit on top lower numbers sit below

example only ignoring gross colors:)

ul.menu { background:pink; color: green; display:inline-block; z-index:100; }
ul.menu ul { background:pink; color: green; display:none; z-index:100; }
.slideshow {z-index: -100; }

Thanks almostbob thats much better help, you've pointed me, but the z-index of the slideshow was 1002, so I've increased the one of the menu into 1003 and it worked with out issue.

Thanks for your support.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.