Hi all

I'm looking for progress bar alternatives to the mass of flash solutions I've found through Google. I also don't want to use the PECL package 'uploadprogress' as it's been a headache for myself and the hosting company I host with.

There must be some solution out there that doesn't require you to be a rocket scientist or need some sort of server side package installed on the server.

P.S. Who's bright idea was it to put the 'Start New Thread' button all the way at the bottom of the page. I spent about a minute trying to find it, while thinking I wasn't logged in.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Personally, I've always used FancyUpload, and I've never had any issues with it.

Hi MVied

Thanks for the suggestion. I see it uses flash. I'd like to stay away from flash. But if push comes to shove I might need to go with that.

I've been searching for 'html5 upload progress' today and I did come across one solution that didn't use flash but alas it doesn't work in IE (surprise surprise).

Please keep any other suggestions coming. I'd really like to find something that suits my needs.

I think you're going to have a hard time finding one that doesn't use flash. For now, HTML5 isn't really an option because of IE, like you said. FancyUpload uses a combination of flash and JavaScript based on the MooTools library. It's not a huge deal though, everything you actually have to fool with is in JavaScript, and most everybody has Flash. If they don't, it does an elegant fallback to regular HTML.

I think you're going to have a hard time finding one that doesn't use flash. For now, HTML5 isn't really an option because of IE, like you said. FancyUpload uses a combination of flash and JavaScript based on the MooTools library. It's not a huge deal though, everything you actually have to fool with is in JavaScript, and most everybody has Flash. If they don't, it does an elegant fallback to regular HTML.

Ok, well I guess I'll give it a try. My main concern is the number of people that use flash blockers these days.

Well, most people use AdBlock Plus, rather than a flash blocker. If nothing signifies that that flash is an advertisement, it won't be blocked. I don't think you have to worry about that with this, though.

Well, most people use AdBlock Plus, rather than a flash blocker. If nothing signifies that that flash is an advertisement, it won't be blocked. I don't think you have to worry about that with this, though.

Ok, thanks for that. I was always under the impression that Adblock blocked all flash content.

No sir, I'm an avid user of AdBlock Plus myself. If you're ever coding and you give an element the ID of "advertisement" or "advert" and you're using Adblock Plus, it won't show up, just because of the ID. I've had that happen more than once. It's very selective on what it blocks, and does a very good job at blocking ads. I've even seen it block ads embedded into flash movies (like advertisements on Hulu) but it would still let the video play.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.