Hi All,
I have specific requirement in web development.
I am Programmer Analyst in .Net, would like to know the difference between Firefox and IE6.0.
Some of the Javascript will not execute in Firefox !!
Does any one have better idea about this !!.

Thanks and with regards,

Madhusudhan.H.K.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Madhu,
Its a pain when your client says "My website must be compatible with all the Browser",
"Well thats easy to say but Are you the one who is coding it."

The same HTML code which works well in IE6.0 wont work exactly the same Mozilla.

Check out this link http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/index.php?tut=0&part=16 which talks about obtaining the window size in different browsers.

Being a .NET developer you'll be faced with a lot of incompatibility issues with Mozilla,Netscape,IE.

In Netscape,If you use Frameset and reference the next frameset with a query string ,its a pain since in Netscape the tags will be opened as a new window.But there is an option available in the browser properties to disable it.

Styles will also give you a headache.

Read this Blog,
http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/188.aspx

I'm not sure what to advice you for browser incompatibility,The only thing I can say is what ever issues you face you can solve it.There is always a work around.

Hi All,
I have specific requirement in web development.
I am Programmer Analyst in .Net, would like to know the difference between Firefox and IE6.0.
Some of the Javascript will not execute in Firefox !!
Does any one have better idea about this !!.

Thanks and with regards,

Madhusudhan.H.K.

Unfort this is an issue that have troubled web developers for years and the solution has always been to write workarounds or hacks for the various browers that do not understand one tag or another. The better solution is to write for that standard and then jsut have your page degrade gracefully from there.

My statement to clients is that I will make their project comply with the standards and funtional in the browsers that do not support the standards. Otherwise you will be banging your head on the wall everyday writing hacks.

I have to agree with bkendall . It's more important to write for standards than for a specific browser. Sometimes you may want to look at your design and see if you can change it so that there's less ambiguity, although I realize this isn't always an option.

That being said, we all know that people will use different browsers, and it's a good idea to be familiar with the activity each one will display before developing so you can write with the exceptions in mind.

I recently discovered this page http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ie2mozgd/, through slashdot i think, it covers several of the differences between IE and Firefox. It also contains many of the links to the standards that these browsers pretend to comply with.

Unfortunately, it is often difficult to find the standard (accurately) that particular browsers comply with. And all browsers have quirks in how they interpret the standards in particular modes.

The best advice is to follow the standards if you have a choice. And implement work arounds only when it becomes obvious that a workaround is required. It is completely laughible to expect that Javascript generated by .NET will run in Firefox. And at no time in the history of web browsers has anybody expected their JavaScript to run unchanged on all browsers... so I find this thread rather amusing! You always need to test your code in the environments that you wish it to run.

Hi,

I am Vijay and a JAVA developer.

I have a requirement for the JAW(screenReader) which is working in mozilla and not in IE. I shd rectify the issue. Do u have any idea why the JAWS application is not working in IE.
Please reply me as soon as possible as it s a very important one..

Waiting for ur esteemed reply !!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.