Hi There

I may be asking a question about something that is not do-able, but, here's my question

Does anyone know if it is possible to let a visitor to my website upload a file to my server, without using the normal form file upload? maybe upload with ftp.

I know it is possible to ftp between servers.

Also, i realise that there will be some javascript/flash involved to allow the user to select the file from his/her local drive

Can anyone maybe help with this.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for Zagga

Hi riaver,

I'm not sure if your host has the same features, but I am able to set up anonymous FTP access to my site and one of the options is to only allow uploads and only to a specific folder.
My host uses cpanel that contains the controls for this.

Is there any particular reason you don't want to use forms? Just curious :)

Hope this helps.
Zagga

Thanks for that info, will check into it.

There's no real reason for me wanting to skip the whole form thing, it's simple enough to do it with a form, i was just wondering, was looking around at ways to do it with an AJAX request, and the thought of ftp type uploads just crossed my mind.

Thanks for that info, will check into it.

There's no real reason for me wanting to skip the whole form thing, it's simple enough to do it with a form, i was just wondering, was looking around at ways to do it with an AJAX request, and the thought of ftp type uploads just crossed my mind.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.