All,
i have a bunch of dynamic checkboxes created in a datagrid, and i have the results going to a database when they are checked. question is how do i count the total # of checkboxes checked. here is the code i have that loops through the checkboxes to submit to the db.

foreach (DataGridItem spriden_ID in dgEmployees.Items)
                {
                    CheckBox cbSpriden = (CheckBox) spriden_ID.FindControl("cbSpriden");
                    if (cbSpriden.Checked)
                    {
                       //Stuff to add to db here
                        }
                        else
                        {       
                            lblStatus.Text ="Scheduling failed: " + addCourses.ErrorMessage;
                        }
                    }

Once the update to the DB succeeds i want to display the count of all the checkboxes submitted..how would i do this?? thanks in advance for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Coudn't you just add a counter to your logic?

[B]int myCounter = 0;[/B]
{
  CheckBox cbSpriden = (CheckBox) spriden_ID.FindControl("cbSpriden");
  if (cbSpriden.Checked)
  {
    [B]myCounter++;[/B]
  }
  else
  {
  }
}

yes i tried that...however when i return the count..for example if i check 3 checkboxes...it will return 123. so it is counting them right...but i only need the 3...hehe. thank you for your response....any other clues?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your reply. There is no way the code above would return the value "123" for the "myCounter" integer. If there are 3 checkboxes, the value would be "3" after the loop completes.

I agree with tgreer, his example would never return "123". The only thing I can think is that you are using a string as your counter variable and concatenating it rather than using an integer and incrementing it. Below is the only feasible code I can think of to duplicate your resuls (example is generic).

string[] arr = new string[]{"a", "b", "c"};
string count = string.Empty;

for (int i = 0;i < arr.length; i++) 
{
     //do something with the string

//update counter
     count += (i + 1);
}

Hi,

can u try this.

int myCounter = 0;
{
CheckBox cbSpriden = (CheckBox) spriden_ID.cells[index];
if (cbSpriden.Checked)
{
myCounter++;
}
else
{
}
}

Thanks,
Kedar

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.