What is meant by it being a "framework"?

I'm reading and trying to learn ASP.NET and basically what I'm seeing is that you either use C# or VB.NET as the programming language for web development. But where is the ASP.NET aspect coming in? Is it just the name of the page type since you're naming the page .asp, and it allows for the use of C# or VB.NET? Or is ASP.NET a programming language itself?

Also, I've read that you can use javascript as the programming language in ASP.NET. But what's the point of this? Can't you use javascript in a regular .html file? Guys I would greatly appreciate any help on this, and I apologize if these questions sound stupid.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

ASP.NET is a web development model that includes the services necessary for you to build web applications. Coding ASP.NET applications means you have access to classes in the .NET Framework (libraries). You can code your applications in any language compatible with the common language runtime (CLR), very similar to the concept in Java, including Microsoft VB and C# as you mentioned. So, in an ASP.NET web application, some pages can be coded in VB and others in C#. ASP.NET is not HTML. Your VB or C# code is processed server-side, while JavaScript is still run on the client-side.

So, if you develop an ASP.NET web app, it will contain, at a minimum, HTML code, asp.net code, and of course you'll include CSS for styling and JavaScript and most likely jQuery to help you with some cool client side code.

In the case of an ASP.NET web page, you save the file as .aspx so that when its executed on the web server, the web server passes the request to the ASP.NET engine for processing. What is returned back to the browser is pure HTML. This is the same whether you are coding an .ASP, .PHP, or .JSP file, as an example.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.