I host my website from my home server. I have downloa folder that constantly changes, is there a way to get the php file to automatically create download links everytime it is accessed?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi,

There are two php functions called "opendir" and "readdir". By using these functions, you can easily create a simple php script to generate download links for the files located in the directory you assigned.

For example, WARNING! script below is not tested, but I am confident this will work in the absensce of the any syntax errors.

<?php

function this_download($dir,$extension){
## use opendir please see referenced link above
if ($handle = opendir($dir)) {

## cycle items in the directory
 while (false !== ($entry = readdir($handle))) {
    ## get show only the file extension you want downloaded
    ## otherwise just remove this
    if(substr(strrchr($entry, '.'), 1) === $extension){

## generate the download link
    echo '<a href="'. $entry .'">Download This file</a>';
    }
}

}

to use the function above just supply the dir and the file extension you want the download link generated.

## sample usage
 $createDownloadLink = this_download('downloadDir', 'flv');

please read opendir and readdir as referenced above.

thank you, that works great. I tried adding the function the gets the file name but is not working:

<?php
INCLUDE 'index.php';

function this_download($dir,$extension){
## use opendir please see referenced link aboves
$dir2 = new DirectoryIterator(dirname(__FILE__));
$dir2= realpath('/downloads');
if ($handle = opendir($dir)) {

## cycle items in the directory
 while (false !== ($entry = readdir($handle))) {
    ## get show only the file extension you want downloaded
    ## otherwise just remove this
    if(substr(strrchr($entry, '.'), 1) === $extension){

## generate the download link
    foreach ($dir2 as $fileinfo) {

echo '<a href="'. $entry .'" class="text">' .$fileinfo->getFilename(). '</a> <br />';
    }
    }
    }
}

}

## sample usage
 $createDownloadLink = this_download('downloads', 'zip');

?>

you can easily get the filename of the items $entry, by modifying the downlink link code like this

echo '<a href="'. $dir . $entry .'">'.preg_replace('/\.[^.]*$/', '', $entry) .'</a><br/>';

there are many ways of getting the filename without extension, but the above codes is the only one I come up of right now. e.g. basename, substr, str_replace will work also..

The advantage of using the auto-fill options in your browser is that it's already installed, so you don't need to do anything extra to use it. However, your browser auto-fill may not have as many features as other auto-fill programs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.