I need help reducing my JavaScript code down to between 4 - 7 lines of code. The idea of this program is to include the number 1-9 in a 3x3 table. I have included both my JavaScript code and the HTML code that creates the table. The javascript code that i have included does work, however i have been told that it is not the correct way to achieve this.

Here is the HTML for my table:

<table border="1" cellpadding="5">
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <td id="cell1">1</td>
            <td id="cell2">2</td>
            <td id="cell3">3</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td id="cell4">4</td>
            <td id="cell5">5</td>
            <td id="cell6">6</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td id="cell7">7</td>
            <td id="cell8">8</td>
            <td id="cell9">9</td>
        </tr>
    </tbody>
</table>

Here is the JavaScript code i am using in conjunction with the above HTML to put numbers in order 1 - 9 within it, however i have been told this is wrong and it can be done using a loop and in 7 lines of code or less (between 4 and 7 lines of code):

document.getElementById("cell1").innerHTML = "1";
document.getElementById("cell2").innerHTML = "2";
document.getElementById("cell3").innerHTML = "3";
document.getElementById("cell4").innerHTML = "4";
document.getElementById("cell5").innerHTML = "5";
document.getElementById("cell6").innerHTML = "6";
document.getElementById("cell7").innerHTML = "7";
document.getElementById("cell8").innerHTML = "8";
document.getElementById("cell9").innerHTML = "9";

I assume i will need to create a for loop that adds these numbers into the table concatenating them into some form of string. But i have no idea as to how i will be able to achieve this?? This is the only other thing i have had troubles with. I think the JavaScript i have supplied is fine and it works too, but i am told this is not the best way to do this. If anyone can help that would be great, Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by JorgeM

Do you want generate the entire table (document.createElement) using a loop and assign innerHTML, or just assign the innerHTML value using a loop?

I had answered this in your other post, just in case you didnt see it...

Sure, although I'd suggest starting a new thread next time.

Your approach is not optimized because what if you had 100 cells to fill. For the table...you are correct about using a loop. One option is that you can fill in the data using a "For" loop. Here is an example of how you would go about it..

<script>
    for (var x = 1; x < 10; x++) {
        document.getElementById("cell" + x).innerHTML = x;
    }
</script>

You can build the HTML table in the same manner if you want to do it via JavaScript.

Edited by JorgeM

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.