Hello everyone,

I am very new in ASP.NET as a matter of fact I have not once programmed in asp.net before. However there is a small web UI application I want to develop; asp.net is the best solution.
Here is what I want to accomplish:
* Have a login page that will grant access to different master pages. each master page has its own database binding
* Each master page will have its pages with their functionalities
* A power user that can have access rights to all master pages
* can Database1, database2, database3, etc..with master page for db1,db2,db3
Here is the cenario:
want to have url https:www.itss.com/login.asp
Login page with username and Password
if the user is from database 1 then master page for datasebase 1 is loaded with all of its contents and pages
else if the user is from database 2 then master page for datasebase 2 is loaded with all of its contents and pages
else if the user is from database 3 then master page for datasebase 1 is loaded with all of its contents and pages
else if the user is power/owner then master database 1, master database 2 and master database 3 are loaded.
I would like to implement this through ASP.net and visual studio, programming in vb.net.
I need to know which version of asp.net and microsoft visual studio to use under windows 7.
In summary, I want to have a web interface that can be connected to multiple sql databases as a monitoring system.
these datasebase they will be on the same sql server, running iis and so forth..
I hope I am clear on my explination.
Thanks in advance..

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

That is a whole lot of development... you are definately going to be challenged if you are new to asp.net. I assume that you have programming experience.

So start you off, you do need to install Visual Studio on your computer. Microsoft provides a free version of Visual Studio for web development. Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web

This version will also install MSSQL express on your computer so that you can develop locally.

which version of asp.net and microsoft visual studio to use under windows 7
Visual studio will allow you to choose the framework version, but I assume that you'll go with the latest one 4.5. Visual Studio 2012 supports asp.net 4.5

Get started with this and come back. There is too much that you are asking for in one thread.

Well There is hell lot of development involved in your requirement..

I need to know which version of asp.net and microsoft visual studio to use under windows 7.

.Net Framework 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010 Express or .Net Framework 4.5 and Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web.

Second thing why are you using Multiple Databases.. You can Use only one database and separate the requirement on table basis.. Then In the user table create field as category and feed input as 1,2,3 and Power.. This will be basis of your design based upon which you can allow the user..

Another thing I would suggest is that You need to know about membership and roles according to your requirement.. Apart from this get some idea about authentication and authorization in asp.net

http://www.asp.net/web-forms/overview/security

You might want to rethink the Database layout that your thinking of using ... the masterpage switching is the easy part ... good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.