Hello everyone! Can you please tell me how can I limit the number of entries to my website with one login? I’m going to use Joomla for this site. I need to get a unique device id apart from the platform. What should be used - php, javascript or anything else? Can you please help?
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I am going to guess you want to limit users to just ONE LOGIN from ONE DEVICE. This fails when folk use a common house PC with multiple users. The device ID would be the same so this is a design flaw from the beginning.

Maybe you should forget your own login system and use what others use. Integrate Facebok, Gogle and Aple account logins. I know Dani knows a bit about these. Example: https://developers.google.com/identity/sign-in/web

As rproffitt suggested, you can use something such as Log In with Facebook or Log In with Google. Most people only have one Facebook or Google account.

However, from a security standpoint, nothing is preventing them from creating another account.

You can also limit to the IP address + browser and operating system used.

That makes things a little more secure because you’re essentially limiting an IP address to a single Google account, for example. However, that doesn’t necessarily work because IP addresses change all the time and some IP addresses are used for entire company offices or everyone in a college dorm.

You can of course add a cookie to the browser when a user visits for the first time and then only allow future logins if the cookie exists. But that isn’t foolproof because cookies get cleared by the end-user all the time, they switch browsers, etc.

However, that’s what you’re limited to. A server being connected to via the HTTP protocol doesn’t have direct access to unique hardware IDs in the end-user’s computer or anything like that.

Can you please let me know your specific use case and I’ll see if I can think of the best fit for your needs?

commented: "Make it foolproof and I'll find a better fool." +16

The main thing is to be a professional

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.