Hi guyz,
What are the challenges of third party API integration?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

With ANY API, you mean? I suppose the biggest one is poor documentation. At least that’s the one I find the most frustrating.

Oh, and second to it would have to be the UI/UX to set up the app. That could make it or break it. :)

Mine would be the API's where the developers do not understand that there is a need for service-to-service applications.

Wouldn’t that be a problem with choosing the wrong API for the job, as opposed to a difficulty in implementing a particular API? Unless I’m misunderstanding you?

commented: Agreed +0

In line of what Dani mentioned - The worst is the UI where, because of poor naming conventions you almost have no control over the interface.
Secondly is poor documentation WITH poor naming, to try and figure out what the creator tried to achieve becomes a nightmare, especially on an API that is not a common one where you can pick and choose from other solutions!
Thirdly will be poor support, nothing more aggravating than asking for support that lasts a week to resolve...

Wouldn’t that be a problem with choosing the wrong API for the job

Mostly there is no choice (for us) as the API gets chosen by the client. Some API only allow their users create SPA's or the likes. When using a (Windows) service to connect to those API's there may be an issue where e.g. there is no authorization possible without user interaction.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.