I have 2 DropDownList in a single page.The 1st contain department name and the 2nd contain employee name.When I click the 1st DropDownList , the 2nd will display the employee name which are under that department.The problem is the 2nd DropDownList will display redundant data and when I choose another department, the new employee name will add to the previous employee list in the 2nd DropDownList.

My code:

Protected Sub cboJbtn_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cboJbtn.SelectedIndexChanged        
        ConnDb(cboJbtn.SelectedItem.Text)
End Sub

Private Sub ConnDb(ByVal jbtn As String)
        Dim MyConn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection("Data Source=WIN200;Initial Catalog=***;User ID=***;Password=***")
        Dim cmd As String = "SELECT DISTINCT dataStaf.nama FROM dataStaf INNER JOIN service ON dataStaf.idStaf = service.idStaf INNER JOIN databahagian ON service.kdjbts = databahagian.kodBahagian WHERE (dataStaf.status = '1') AND (databahagian.namaBahagian ='" & jbtn & "') ORDER BY dataStaf.nama"

Dim MyCmd As New SqlCommand(cmd, MyConn)
        'MyCmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text

Try
            If MyConn.State = ConnectionState.Closed Then
                MyConn.Open()

End If

cboNama.DataSource = MyCmd.ExecuteReader()
            cboNama.DataTextField = "nama"
            cboNama.DataValueField = "nama"
            cboNama.DataBind()
            MyConn.Close()

Catch ex As Exception
            lblMsg.Text = "Error connecting to db"
        End Try

End Sub
End Class

The 1st DropDownList= cboJbtn
2nd DropDownList= cboNama

hi yatt,

The coding which u sent seems to be ok.Did you set the autopostback property of both the dropdownlists to be true.

Hope this solved ur problem.

Thanks

Regards

Exelio

Yes. I did set the autopostback of both the dropdownlist to true. It seem that my program will run the cboJbtn_SelectedItemIndex twice.

The coding which u sent seems to be ok.Did you set the autopostback property of both the dropdownlists to be true.

I have put a control in cboJbtn_SelectedItemIndex so that it will not call the ConnDb function twice. But I appreciate it if anyone can tell me how to prevent it without using any control.

Thanks in advance, and also thanks to Exelio for your reply

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.