Is it possible to use HTML tags in PHP code? I have a php script that emails some form inputs to my email address, and I would like to bold certain words in it. The code preforms the message first, and then just posts the message in the body of the email like this:

$body = "Date Submitted: $today\n Client: $client\n From: $requestor\n $services";

I would like to make some words bold. Like the word Client. In that body message, how can I make it come up bold in the email?
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Use the content-type:text/html instead of content-type:text/plain header when sending off the email.

Use the content-type:text/html instead of content-type:text/plain header when sending off the email.

Thanks cscgal. Kudos to you for being so involved in your forum. I swear you answer almost every post, and I don't know how you do it!

But if I may bother you once more, where do I include this content-type:text/plain? At the heading of the php script or something? I wrote the script by hand, so it's very unformal, and probably not really legit.

Thanks again!
Nate

Within the headers parameter of the mail() function used to actually send out the email.

For example, here is an example off of php.net:

<?php
// multiple recipients
$to  = 'aidan@example.com' . ', '; // note the comma
$to .= 'wez@example.com';

// subject
$subject = 'Birthday Reminders for August';

// message
$message = '
<html>
<head>
  <title>Birthday Reminders for August</title>
</head>
<body>
  <p>Here are the birthdays upcoming in August!</p>
  <table>
   <tr>
     <th>Person</th><th>Day</th><th>Month</th><th>Year</th>
   </tr>
   <tr>
     <td>Joe</td><td>3rd</td><td>August</td><td>1970</td>
   </tr>
   <tr>
     <td>Sally</td><td>17th</td><td>August</td><td>1973</td>
   </tr>
  </table>
</body>
</html>
';

// To send HTML mail, the Content-type header must be set
$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";
$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";

// Additional headers
$headers .= 'To: Mary <mary@example.com>, Kelly <kelly@example.com>' . "\r\n";
$headers .= 'From: Birthday Reminder <birthday@example.com>' . "\r\n";
$headers .= 'Cc: birthdayarchive@example.com' . "\r\n";
$headers .= 'Bcc: birthdaycheck@example.com' . "\r\n";

// Mail it
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
?>

Thanks, that clears it up nicely. You're awesome! Have a nice night.

You're welcome. Oh, and just for the record, it's a complete illusion that I post a lot :)

Coulda fooled me ;-)

Fooled me... I just took 5 minutes to answer this post and she's posted again! (-:

Maybe she's got a DaniBot that answers for her. :twisted:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.