Hi,

I was wondering whether PHP being a server side and kind of scripting languages, can be or being used for application/software development just like any other regular programming languages such as c/c++ or java. As far as I understand it is meant for web use only and thus can only be interpreted and used with a web browser. Is it possible to create programs/application with PHP that just can work as any other desktop programs and can be installed as well without involving the browser at all? I am not much aware of PHP's real capabilities so hopefully some senior PHP programmers can help me here. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

From what I know, I don't think that php will work without a browser. But, you can use it to build a desktop-type applications just that your interface with the system is via browsers and that you need to setup the host locally. Besides, why not use c/c++ if you're only developing desktop applications. Although, php can be used to develop intranet or LAN applications.

From what I know, I don't think that php will work without a browser. But, you can use it to build a desktop-type applications just that your interface with the system is via browsers and that you need to setup the host locally. Besides, why not use c/c++ if you're only developing desktop applications. Although, php can be used to develop intranet or LAN applications.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am learning C++ on my own at the moment on Linux and MySQL as well, but I just want to know whether PHP is also capable of providing the application building features just like any other language. For example you create something in VB and create an EXE file that can run on its own after installation or whatever way it is supposed to any behave like a noraml desktop application which has nothing to do with the browser and it does not suppose to be an internet based program. Thanks again I am still searching on the net about PHP and its uses in software development if any, since I hardly know the language. Cheers.

Member Avatar for Rhyan

PHP cannot be used to create applications like you would do with C or Delphi or something like this. This is a script language and you cannot compile programs from it. So - if you don't want to use the browser - NO WAY. In order to work - you will need to install the PHP server module to parse the code.
If you want to create an application you can start learning JAVA. It can create .exe files and the only thing you need for it to run is the JAVA runtime from SUN.

PHP cannot be used to create applications like you would do with C or Delphi or something like this. This is a script language and you cannot compile programs from it. So - if you don't want to use the browser - NO WAY.
If you want to create an application you can start learning JAVA. It can create .exe files.

Thanks great answer and very clear answer. But what about the following languages then?

Perl
Python
Ruby

ASP.Net
ColdFusion
JSP

Is it ok to assume that the above also being scripting-internet based/browser based languages they are also not suitable for application development?

Thanks a lot.

Member Avatar for Rhyan

All of the above are scripting languages that are supposed to reside on a server, and basis a request from a browser to return some information.
If you want to develop a desctop application, which you install on a computer independently, you have to look for the C+,C++, Delphi and Java.
NOTE: Java and JavaScript are completely different things. Java applications are browser and system independent. JavaScript needs a browser as it manipulates with HTML objects on a web page and different browsers "understand" javascript differently.

The .NET framework is also a good opiton for Windows-based applications. Still I am not very familiar with the .NET stuff.
ASP .NET is another thing that is web oriented.

.NET is a new thing developed by Microsoft, and is getting really popular lately. E.G. ATI video graphic card drivers rely on .NET for the user interface to adjust screen controls, etc.

All of the above are scripting languages that are supposed to reside on a server,
If you want to develop a desctop application, which you install on a computer independently, you have to look for the C+,C++, Delphi and Java.

Thanks you have replied quite satisfactorilly to my question, and cleared my dobuts. Being new to Linux, php etc I was confused a lot to start with, but now the doubts seem to have disappear. Thanks for a friendly response. Cheers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.