hi
i need to open a new window using open.window to control some parameters, like window size, bars, scrollbars... the problem is that this way the brower blocks the window like if it was a popup...
is there any way to solve this?

if there is any other way to control the window parameters, like while its loading, feel free to post where, it would be much more usefull to me

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

As long as you don't call it on a page load or something similar the pop up will open just fine. Basically, it has to be opened based on a user action (i.e. they click on a link). So it is not the code that is the issue, it is how the pop up is called.

> if there is any other way to control the window parameters, like while its loading, feel free to post
Set the focus to the parent window, so that the newly opened window can load in the background and the user can browse the original page.

If you still don't get it, let me know.

sorry, don't get it...

i'm using a normal page to open another page after 3 seconds, but only because i don't know any other way to control the window.

window.open("fgo.aspx","new ",
"toolbar=no,directories=no,status=no,titlebar=no,
menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no,width=800,
height=600,top=0,left=0")

what i meant was that if there is a way to control a window without using the first one with the javascript code above, it would be great...

thanks

What you are trying to do is exactly what popup blockers try to block.

i know, but that's what my boss wants...

it's amazing, so many new web technologies and theres no way to control the window parameters...

I don't properly understand what you are trying to do here, but as far as I can make out, I guess you want to create a new window and allow it to load in the background while the user keeps on working with the original window.

// ee.html
<html>
<head>
    <script>
    function doSome()
    {
        var wnd = window.open("dd.html");
        if(!wnd.opener)
            wnd.opener = self;
    }
    </script>
</head>
<body>
    <input type="button" value="Open Window" id="btn" onclick="doSome();" />
</body>
</html>

// dd.html
<html>
<head>
    <script>
    function shiftFocus()
    {
        opener.focus();
    }
    </script>
</head>
<body onload="shiftFocus();">
    <div>This really is something.</div>
</body>
</html>

If not, then please specify which parameters you want to control.

Wow, I have the power to block your boss! I will use it. BLOCK!!!!

The trick is to provide a button the USER clicks to open the window.

Any window which opens without the USER deciding to open it by clicking something is a popup ad.

ok, my english limitations are creating some confusion here...

i'll try to explain what i need. my boss wants that when someone goes to (for example) www.xpto.com, the window appears without scrollbars, statusbars, toolbars... basically just the window frame and nothing more... the problem is that it appears that the only way to control these parameters is to open a new window using:

window.open("fgo.aspx","new","toolbar=no,directories=no,
status=no,titlebar=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no,width=800,
height=600,top=0,left=0")

but this isn't what i want. if possible, i want to create this kind of window without using two pages, just one (fgo.aspx in this case)...

hope it helps understanding what i need.... and thanks for your help

AFAIK, no, you can't control the properties of something you don't create. Security reasons. The user is no sucker to come to your site only to find out his browser bare essentials have been stripped by some crazy developer...

oh well, i really don´t care if it´s not possible, my boss will have to change is mind...

thanks

it is possible to open the window w/o scrollbars, toolbars, etc but it has to be based on the user action! Not automatically.

I always HATE it when some clown of a webmaster decides I shouldn't have my carefully orchestrated toolbars. So I add that site to my "Don't go there" list.

I hate it even more when they somehow change my toolbar.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.