Hello everybody,
I found paging code from www.plus2net.com, but when I implemented there is a problem with $this variable and the error is:
"Fatal error: Cannot re-assign $this in C:\wamp\www\Paging\php_paging.php on line 33"

This is the code:

<?php
//****************************************************************************
////////////////////////Downloaded from  www.plus2net.com   //////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////  Visit www.plus2net.com for more such script and codes.
////////                    Read the readme file before using             /////////////////////
//////////////////////// You can distribute this code with the link to www.plus2net.com ///
/////////////////////////  Please don't  remove the link to www.plus2net.com ///
//////////////////////////
//*****************************************************************************
?>
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2//en">

<html>

<head>
<title>Plus2net.com paging script in PHP</title>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Arachnophilia 4.0">
<meta name="FORMATTER" content="Arachnophilia 4.0">
</head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" link="#0000ff" vlink="#800080" alink="#ff0000">
<?php
require "config.php";           // All database details will be included here 

$page_name="php_paging.php"; //  If you use this code with a different page ( or file ) name then change this 

if(!isset($start)) {                         // This variable is set to zero for the first page
$start = 0;
}

$eu = ($start -0);                
$limit = 2;                                 // No of records to be shown per page.
$this = $eu + $limit; 
$back = $eu - $limit; 
$next = $eu + $limit; 

/////////////// WE have to find out the number of records in our table. We will use this to break the pages///////
$query2=" SELECT * FROM student_adv  ";
$result2=mysql_query($query2);
echo mysql_error();
$nume=mysql_num_rows($result2);
/////// The variable nume above will store the total number of records in the table////

/////////// Now let us print the table headers ////////////////
$bgcolor="#f1f1f1";
echo "<TABLE width=50% align=center  cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0> <tr>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>ID</font></td>";

echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Name</font></td>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Class</font></td>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf'>&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Mark</font></td></tr>";

////////////// Now let us start executing the query with variables $eu and $limit  set at the top of the page///////////
$query=" SELECT * FROM student_adv  limit $eu, $limit ";
$result=mysql_query($query);
echo mysql_error();

//////////////// Now we will display the returned records in side the rows of the table/////////
while($noticia = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
if($bgcolor=='#f1f1f1'){$bgcolor='#ffffff';}
else{$bgcolor='#f1f1f1';}

echo "<tr >";
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$noticia[id]</font></td>"; 

echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$noticia[name]</font></td>"; 
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$noticia[class]</font></td>"; 
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$noticia[mark]</font></td>"; 

echo "</tr>";
}
echo "</table>";
////////////////////////////// End of displaying the table with records ////////////////////////

///// Variables set for advance paging///////////
$p_limit=8; // This should be more than $limit and set to a value for whick links to be breaked
if(!isset($p_f)){$p_f=0;}
$p_fwd=$p_f+$p_limit;
$p_back=$p_f-$p_limit;
//////////// End of variables for advance paging ///////////////
/////////////// Start the buttom links with Prev and next link with page numbers /////////////////
echo "<table align = 'center' width='50%'><tr><td  align='left' width='20%'>";
if($p_f<>0){print "<a href='$page_name?start=$p_back&p_f=$p_back'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>PREV $p_limit</font></a>"; }
echo "</td><td  align='left' width='10%'>";
//// if our variable $back is equal to 0 or more then only we will display the link to move back ////////
if($back >=0 and ($back >=$p_f)) { 
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$back&p_f=$p_f'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>PREV</font></a>"; 
} 
//////////////// Let us display the page links at  center. We will not display the current page as a link ///////////
echo "</td><td align=center width='30%'>";
for($i=$p_f;$i < $nume and $i<($p_f+$p_limit);$i=$i+$limit){
if($i <> $eu){
$i2=$i+$p_f;
echo " <a href='$page_name?start=$i&p_f=$p_f'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>$i</font></a> ";
}
else { echo "<font face='Verdana' size='4' color=red>$i</font>";}        /// Current page is not displayed as link and given font color red

}

echo "</td><td  align='right' width='10%'>";
///////////// If we are not in the last page then Next link will be displayed. Here we check that /////
if($this < $nume and $this <($p_f+$p_limit)) { 
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$next&p_f=$p_f'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>NEXT</font></a>";} 
echo "</td><td  align='right' width='20%'>";
if($p_fwd < $nume){
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$p_fwd&p_f=$p_fwd'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>NEXT $p_limit</font></a>"; 
}
echo "</td></tr></table>";

?>
<center><a href='http://www.plus2net.com'>PHP SQL HTML free tutorials and scripts</a></center> 
</body>

</html>

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

It's because $this is a reserved word used with classes to reference the current object. For example

class TestClass
{
    var $blah;    
    function setBlah($input)
    {
        $this->blah = $input;
    }
}

thnx for that,
so what should I do? How should I do paging withing PHP, if possible plz descibe me more...

try this:

<?php
////////////////////////Downloaded from  www.plus2net.com   //////////////////////////////////////////
////////                    Read the readme file before using             /////////////////////
//////////////////////// You can distribute this code with the link to www.plus2net.com ///
/////////////////////////  Please don't  remove the link to www.plus2net.com ///
?>

<html>

<head>
</head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" link="#0000ff" vlink="#800080" alink="#ff0000">
<?php
require "config.php";           // All database details will be included here 

$page_name="php_paging.php"; //  If you use this code with a different page ( or file ) name then change this 

if(!isset($start)) {                         // This variable is set to zero for the first page
$start = 0;
}

$eu = ($start -0);                
$limit = 2;                                 // No of records to be shown per page.
$p = $eu + $limit; 
$back = $eu - $limit; 
$next = $eu + $limit; 

/////////////// WE have to find out the number of records in our table. We will use this to break the pages///////
echo mysql_error();
/////// The variable nume above will store the total number of records in the table////

$bgcolor="#f1f1f1";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>ID</font></td>";

echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Name</font></td>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf' >&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Class</font></td>";
echo "<td  bgcolor='dfdfdf'>&nbsp;<font face='arial,verdana,helvetica' color='#000000' size='4'>Mark</font></td></tr>";

////////////// Now let us start executing the query with variables $eu and $limit  set at the top of the page///////////
echo mysql_error();

//////////////// Now we will display the returned records in side the rows of the table/////////
{

echo "<tr >";
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$noticia[id]</font></td>"; 

echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$noticia[name]</font></td>"; 
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$noticia[class]</font></td>"; 
echo "<td align=left bgcolor=$bgcolor id='title'>&nbsp;<font face='Verdana' size='2'>$noticia[mark]</font></td>"; 

echo "</tr>";
}
echo "</table>";
////////////////////////////// End of displaying the table with records ////////////////////////

$p_limit=8; // This should be more than $limit and set to a value for whick links to be breaked
$p_fwd=$p_f+$p_limit;
$p_back=$p_f-$p_limit;
/////////////// Start the buttom links with Prev and next link with page numbers /////////////////
if($p_f<>0){print "<a href='$page_name?start=$p_back&p_f=$p_back'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>PREV $p_limit</font></a>"; }
//// if our variable $back is equal to 0 or more then only we will display the link to move back ////////
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$back&p_f=$p_f'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>PREV</font></a>"; 
} 
//////////////// Let us display the page links at  center. We will not display the current page as a link ///////////
if($i <> $eu){
$i2=$i+$p_f;
echo " <a href='$page_name?start=$i&p_f=$p_f'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>$i</font></a> ";
}
else { echo "<font face='Verdana' size='4' color=red>$i</font>";}        /// Current page is not displayed as link and given font color red

}

///////////// If we are not in the last page then Next link will be displayed. Here we check that /////
if($p < $nume and $p <($p_f+$p_limit)) { 
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$next&p_f=$p_f'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>NEXT</font></a>";} 
if($p_fwd < $nume){
print "<a href='$page_name?start=$p_fwd&p_f=$p_fwd'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>NEXT $p_limit</font></a>"; 
}

?>
<center><a href='http://www.plus2net.com'>PHP SQL HTML free tutorials and scripts</a></center> 
</body>

</html>

Thaks for the code,
There is no error on the code now, but when I click on the link navigation (1 2 3 4 next) nothing happen, doesnot go to the page I want...

hover over link and see what the url is of it. once you do this post it here and maybe i'll figure it out

hi.
1. First I open it, I just see the Link Navigation the even numbers mean (0 2 4 6 8 Next Next8)
2. When I click on any of the navigation link, I see the address bar like below:
php_pagin.php?start=2&p_f=0
php_pagin.php?start=4&p_f=0
php_pagin.php?start=6&p_f=0
php_pagin.php?start=8&p_f=0

means just in the address bar the number changes, nothing else happens in the page

i looked over the entire code line by line and really didn't see anything wrong. i took out all of the comments and stuff so i could read it better, made a few changes. i think it might work.

<html>
<head>
</head>
<?php
require "config.php";
$page_name="php_paging.php";
if(!isset($start)) {
$start = 0;
}

$eu = ($start -0);                
$limit = 2;
$this_page = $eu + $limit; 
$back = $eu - $limit; 
$next = $eu + $limit; 
echo mysql_error();
$bgcolor="#f1f1f1";
echo mysql_error();
{
echo "<tr >";
echo "</tr>";
}
echo "</table>";
$p_limit=8;
$p_fwd=$p_f+$p_limit;
$p_back=$p_f-$p_limit;
if($p_f=0){print "<a href='$page_name?start=$p_back&p_f=$p_back'><font face='Verdana' size='2'>PREV $p_limit</font></a>"; }
if($back >=0 && ($back >=$p_f)) { 
} 
for($i=$p_f;$i < $nume && $i<($p_f+$p_limit);$i=$i+$limit){
if($i = $eu){
$i2=$i+$p_f;
}
else { echo "<font face='Verdana' size='4' color=red>$i</font>";}
}
if($this_page < $nume && $this_page <($p_f+$p_limit)) { 
if($p_fwd < $nume){
}
?>
</body>
</html>

if it doesn't work i will probably make my own script that does work.

Really thanks for ur reply,
I used the code, but the system is not able to load the navigation part...I mean it is trying to load something in the page but not able...

If possible plz send me your own script, with comments coz I want to get fimiliar too, that would be very kind of you... Thanks

i set up a database to check the code and i think i fixed the problem.

<?php
?>

<html>

<head>
</head>

<?php
require "mysql.php";           // All database details will be included here 

$page_name="paging.php"; //  If you use this code with a different page ( or file ) name then change this 

$start = 0;
}

$eu = ($start -0);                
$limit = 1;                                 // No of records to be shown per page.
$this = $eu;
$number = 2;
$back = $eu - $limit; 
$next = $eu + $limit; 

echo mysql_error();

$bgcolor="#f1f1f1";

$query=" SELECT * FROM student_adv  limit $eu, $number ";
echo mysql_error();

{

echo "<tr >";

echo "</tr>";
}
echo "</table>";

$p_fwd=$p_f+$p_limit;
$p_back=$p_f-$p_limit;
} 
if($i <> $eu){
$i2=$i+$p_f;
}

}

if($this < $nume and $this <($p_f+$p_limit)) { 
if($p_fwd < $nume){
}

?>
</body>

</html>

The error is:
Can't reassign $this

i will fix the problem and will repost in a little while, sorry about that. my server doesn't show that error. try it on this: http://68.103.192.2:8080/paging.php is that what you are looking for?

yes, that is exactly what I want, but if there is first and last , that would be very nice...
Thanks much for ur accompany and helping...

first, thanks much for replying and helping again asn again, then everything seems to be work, but unfortunately when I click the navigatio link the address bar changes correctly, but the data not changed, means the data is the same in all pages...

first, thanks much for replying and helping again asn again, then everything seems to be work, but unfortunately when I click the navigatio link the address bar changes correctly, but the data not changed, means the data is the same in all pages...

Mr. kkeith29,
plz solve the small problem...

i will solve it as fast a possible but more information on exactly what going on would be nice. maybe you could give me a link to the file on your server so i can see it for myself.

unfortunately, I am using Apachi on my own home pc, but ur code is working, means when I click on the links, the address bar changes, but the data on the page remains the same

are you using your own mysql database. oh yeah, just to be sure, is it working on my server?
http://68.103.192.2:8080/paging.php. is the problem only occuring when you view it on yours.

yeah it is working on the link u sent me, but I did the same thing on my on pc, all is right, but the data not changed on page when clicking on the link...

so pretty much when you click a number the same 2 records are shown even though the url changes. i have no idea what would cause this. did you change anything in the code?

If the same records are showing then the limit statement isn't being changed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.