Inserting a Flash (SWF, FLV) file into HTML web page is already an old and familiar thing to all of us. It is a rather non-flexible thing that just to edit some options in the template. However, I did not understand some parameters totally in the HTML tag. These days when I was surfing the Internet I have found some comprehensive introduction to these two tags. I read it and conclude it with my own words; I think it will be useful to us, so I wrote this article.
This article includes two parts:
1. General introduction to the two tags.
2. Why do we use all the tags above? Is there any tag that can be left out?

1. General introduction to the two tags.
To display Flash correctly on web page, HTML tags which indicate the path of the Flash file is needed in the web page. These HTML tags are OBJECT tag and EMBED tag. OBJECT tag is used for IE on Windows, while EMBED tag is for Netscape Navigator on Windows and Macintosh and IE on Macintosh. IE on Windows play Flash with ActiveX component while other web browsers play Flash with Netscape plug-in technique. The code below is an example used to embed Flash file to web page.
Example HTML Code:

<OBJECT classid="clasid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0"
WIDTH="432" HEIGHT="330" id="myMovieName" >
<PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="myMovieName.swf" />
<PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="high" />
<PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF>
<EMBED src="/flash/ myMovieName.swf" quality="high" bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="432" HEIGHT="330" NAME="myMovieName" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>

Part 2 "Why do we use all the tags above? Is there any tag that can be left out?" will be continued soon enough:)

Source
my flash video player talk blog

Related articles
How to add flash videos to website?
Customize a web FLV Player (flash video player) in the easiest way

That's because OBJECT is official XHTML tag for embedding objects and old-school EMBED was used in old browsers but supported in almost all current ones too. Now EMBED is included in HTML5 specs but OBJECT tag on was excluded, so the things have changed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.