I don't know why .. does it have to do with the total # of posts? If i exceed a certain # of posts then only i can do that .. Is that the case?

:cry:

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by John A

There is a timeout I believe of... I think 30 minutes after which you can't re-edit your posts.

This is an edit, cos I clicked it straight away after posting.

Votes + Comments

Yes hollystyles is correct, although it's interesting to note that administrators of the vBulletin software have a settings that controls the editing timeout of a non-moderator.

Personally, I think 30 minutes is too short, as I'll often come back to my post, and realize I made a typo or something, and then I'm unable to edit it.

Votes + Comments
True .. but its OK nyway.. - Boo

I dunno why any sites limit the amount of time you can alter your own post. (Is it easier on the database is that why sites do it??)

Because what happens is people post questions, get replies, and then edit their original post deleting the question and replacing it with "Oops, my mistake! It was a dumb question, I figured it out myself." Additionally, sometimes members who have a grudge (they received a temporary ban, they had a disagreement with a moderator, etc) will react by editing all of their previous posts deleting their content in spite.

Personally, I think 30 minutes is too short, as I'll often come back to my post, and realize I made a typo or something, and then I'm unable to edit it

Re-read your post before and after submitting and make corrections immediately instead of waiting till later. should be a habit for anyone who considers there written and communication skills to be good, which I'm sure your's are you just need to take the time :)

Re-read your post before and after submitting and make corrections immediately instead of waiting till later.

What he said!

Because what happens is people post questions, get replies, and then edit their original post deleting the question and replacing it with "Oops, my mistake! It was a dumb question, I figured it out myself." Additionally, sometimes members who have a grudge (they received a temporary ban, they had a disagreement with a moderator, etc) will react by editing all of their previous posts deleting their content in spite.

Ah i hadnt noticed that on sites too much,ill have to keep a closer eye :)

Thank you Dani!!

Re-read your post before and after submitting and make corrections immediately instead of waiting till later. should be a habit for anyone who considers there written and communication skills to be good, which I'm sure your's are you just need to take the time :)

That's usually what I do, which works fine on small posts like this. On larger ones, I find it increasingly difficult to find all the typos and unclosed tags and such, and it's inevitable that some mistakes will manage to sneak their way into the post. :sad:

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.