"Today, wheat provides about 20 percent of the food calories for the world’s people. The world wheat harvest now stands at about 600 million metric tons.... WITH food prices soaring throughout Asia, Africa and Latin America, and shortages threatening hunger and political chaos, the time could not be worse for an epidemic of stem rust in the world’s wheat crops. Yet millions of wheat farmers, small and large, face this spreading and deadly crop infection."

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Im not sure what you mean by "spot the horsemen", but if this is a true statement maybe somebody should import large amounts of cinnamon to these farmers.

Cinnamon is a natural germacide which kills many if not most micro organisms including bacteria and mold.

I use it on all my plant as soon as they show sign of mold or disease and I has cured it every time.

Cinnamon is non toxic and relatively cheap. They could just spread it throughout there crops using traditional methods.

They mean the horsemen of the apocalypse.

oooo im not up that mumbo jumbo

It took a minute for me too, but GrimJack does have a good point.

Along with the food situation, you also have to pay attention to the weather situation too. The storms we are getting now are increasing in power and frequency.

I can see the horsemen's silhouette on the horizon, and I don't believe there is anything we can do about it.

i know, bread has gotten bloody expensive lately , as has pasta

Im not sure what you mean by "spot the horsemen", but if this is a true statement maybe somebody should import large amounts of cinnamon to these farmers.

Cinnamon is a natural germacide which kills many if not most micro organisms including bacteria and mold.

I use it on all my plant as soon as they show sign of mold or disease and I has cured it every time.

Cinnamon is non toxic and relatively cheap. They could just spread it throughout there crops using traditional methods.

Unfortunately, the rust is a fungus. In the '50s, the world wheat crop was threatened by a rust; USDA scientists developed the current wheat varieties that were immune to the rust; the rust has altered (evolved) to attack the current wheat varieties, all of which are based on that one variety. I will leave it to the interested look into the politics of why funding for research into the new rust threat was cut.

The point of the Horsemen reference was just a literary indulgence on my part. This guy is Famine. If you look in the news, you might be able spot the Horsemen emerging from the mists.

oooo im not up that mumbo jumbo

It is not really MumboJumbo, technically, MJ is a meaningless 'ritual'. Whereas, I referenced a religious text that managed to bring to focus the greater fears of humanity in an almost poetic form. Most references in books and music that use the phrase 'a pale horse' is a reference.

Thorton Wilder: myth-making is one of the means whereby the generalized truths of human knowledge finds expression and particularly the disavowed impulses of the mind escape the ‘censor’ of acquired social control and find their way into indirect confession. Myths constitute the dreaming subconscious soul of the race telling its story

It is not really MumboJumbo, technically, MJ is a meaningless 'ritual'. Whereas, I referenced a religious text that managed to bring to focus the greater fears of humanity in an almost poetic form. Most references in books and music that use the phrase 'a pale horse' is a reference.

Thorton Wilder: myth-making is one of the means whereby the generalized truths of human knowledge finds expression and particularly the disavowed impulses of the mind escape the ‘censor’ of acquired social control and find their way into indirect confession. Myths constitute the dreaming subconscious soul of the race telling its story

Wow, you like yourself dont you.
If it came from the bible it means Jack to me. But now that i think of it I should have known what you ment. I have heard of the Pale Horse or the horsemen just didnt relate it.

Wow, you like yourself dont you.
If it came from the bible it means Jack to me. But now that i think of it I should have known what you ment. I have heard of the Pale Horse or the horsemen just didnt relate it.

Steve, like you, I keep my tongue firmly in cheek but yeah, I like myself and I think of my self as an intellectual <<what does it take to be an intellectual? Hang around with someone who isn't one>>. I like making literary allusions/references - Umberto Eco is one of my heroes.

Well grim, the world do need more Intellectuals. I'm glad you answered as you did. Anyone who says that they dont like themself will not be liked by other.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.