Us Long Islanders are bracing ourselves as we prepare for Hurricane Irene ... Some people on the south shore have already been evicted. How bad do you think it's going to be?

I don't know what it is with natural disasters lately. So far this year we've been hit with a tornado, an earthquake and now a hurricane ... and New York does NOT get any of those!

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Oh yeah, the "earthquake". I've read some thing about that :)

style.doc

Fingers crossed it all passes by without major cause for concern.

I don't know what it is with natural disasters lately. So far this year we've been hit with a tornado, an earthquake and now a hurricane ... and New York does NOT get any of those!

You can thank global warming for all but the earthquake.

Hope you come through alright, I know S. Ontario is still cleaning up after the tornadoes we had. Fingers-crossed we are far enough inland to miss the hurricane.

That's a lie! Global warming is responsible for earthquakes too. Along with (but not exclusive to) excessive cold weather, blizzards, ice storms, volcanos, meteors, tsunami, AIDS, cancer, Alzheimer's, the common cold, homosexuality, missing socks, spelling errors, Barack Obama, fizz overflow on soda pop, teenage pregnancy, and noobs.

Lock up your daughters, here comes global warming!

commented: Don't forget about "Not being able to isolate the Higgs Boson". +0
commented: humor at its best +0
commented: Ha! :) +0

We're all bracing ourselves here for the storm. It is very likely that we will lose power at some point this weekend through Monday or later. Mayor Bloomberg has already called for mandatory evacuations of Brooklyn, Staten Island, and the financial district of NYC. There are even talks of the NYSE being closed on Monday. Here on Long Island, Fire Island and Long Beach have already been evacuated. I'm about a 15 minute drive north of there. The eye of the hurricane is currently slated to hit about a half hour east of me. Basically, NY does *not* get hurricanes so we're incredibly unprepared for whatever is to come.

You can file this under "Too little, too late", but do you have a Disaster Recovery Plan in place? Alternate remote fail-over hot-site? Business continuity model?

My fingers are crossed for you all. Good luck, and stay safe!

I was just in Long Island this week. Got out just in time!

Wow, hope this ends up being a case of "better safe than sorry". Anyone else having flashbacks to all the disaster movies set in NYC?

As they say in Las Vegas "Good Luck!"
All we ever get is excessive heat warnings and smog from California wildfires.

Oh yeah, the "earthquake". I've read some thing about that :)

[attach]2211[/attach]

I loved that pic! Thanks for sharing

That earthquake was scary! <no scarcasm intended>

>> That earthquake was scary! <no scarcasm intended>

I can totally imagine that, but the news-coverage made it look like it was the end of the world as we knew it :)

Meanwhile your still posting, so the hurricane hasn't reached NY yet? Good luck!

did you do that research in your lab?

Did you escape with minimal impact Dani? The news reports on the UK channels seem to suggest New York escaped pretty much unscathed from Irene save some localised flooding and the obvious pre-storm preparations disrupting things.

Yup, that's pretty much what happened. There was flooding in coastal towns and a LOT of people lost power and cable. Also a lot of downed trees. I didn't lose power or cable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.