I would not classify Dream Theater as metal--they are progressive.

DT are progressive metal. They are much heavier than, say, King Crimson, Camel, Rush, Gentle Giant and the likes.

I grudgingly agree, though I have a hard time with progressive "metal." I tend to think of it all as progressive rock, though prog metal is a recognized subgenre of metal. Bands like Lake of Tears are more on the metal end of progressive metal, while later releases of say, The Gathering, tend toward the more eclectic and grandiose rock end of progressive metal, in my humble opinion. But what is really important is, do you like the music!? \m/

the Gathering are a personal fave of mine since 1996 :) Anneke's voice is incredible.
but the music is good as long as the band puts its soul into it. ever since metallica ran out of steam their music stopped being any good. same with DT - the latest albums sound like midi files.
as for good hard metal, I like Savatage a lot. They are like Queen of metal - combination of classical education heard in every note, and the heavy metal soul.

Nice to meet a fellow metalhead on the forum:cool:! I agree with your comments on The Gathering. I am quite fond of female vocals in any kind of metal, and am particularly fond of Lacuna Coil, Tristania, and Nightwish. For some atypical female vocals, I really dig Arch Enemy.

My tastes probably run a little harder than yours, from the sounds of it, though I do like the more straight up stuff, too. Don't listen to Savatage much anymore, though I about wore out their Handful of Rain disk.

How about Orphaned Land? Based on your profile, I thought you might be into that phenomenal band.

I particularly like european folk type metal, like Finntroll, Einherjer, Amorphis, etc.

So much metal, so little time! \m/

yes i like fintroll too

i also like wintersun and ensiferum (viking metal)

orphaned land are ok, if you're NOT from the middle east mate :) otherwise hearing those notes makes metalheads here puke, especially the twirly singing and the tarboukas. BTW, Anneke's voice is a lot like Ophra Khaza's (sp?) voice used to be.

and yeah, I haven't been listening to anything too heavy in a while, Israel doesn't get many concerts cos artists consider it too dangerous to come, and in any case I prefer the classic stuff like Deep Purple or Led Zep :)

I like rock as well as metal

Joe satriani!

There are a lot of more obscure bands that I think are more rock than metal, and I like those as well. Dead Soul Tribe, The Old Dead Tree, are a couple that come to mind. Thrash bands like Coroner are good, too.

There is a band, 3 Inches of Blood, that I am particularly fond of--anyone here know them?

I havent ever heard of them,.are they any g00d?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.