Hi to the DW tech staff.

I was thinking about the Location field in the public profile page for members as we have discussed it recently in this forum since it has been removed from the title bar for posts. Anyway I was thinking that it would also be handy to know if English is a member's first language. A field such as First Language and possibly one for additional languages spoken might be useful for those who take issue with people struggling to describe the problems they are having.

I have found the Location of a person handy for working out why people have spelling or grammar mistakes in their posts, but sometimes it can be misleading. Just because someone is from Chicago doesn't mean that English is necessarily their preferred language.

Anyways, just a suggestion.

Regards,
darkagn

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

>A field such as First Language and possibly one for additional
>languages spoken might be useful for those who take issue with
>people struggling to describe the problems they are having.
In my experience, we're generally pretty good at determining if the communication barrier is due to legitimate language problems of a non-native English speaker or sheer laziness. The reaction tends to be pretty accurate as well. Legitimate difficulties receive sympathy and patience, laziness receives a healthy dose of attitude.

That said, a "languages spoken" list might be a nice touch.

commented: *agrees* +4

Of course, this might result:

Languages spoken:
xhtml, css, perl, pascal, FORTRAN, Visual Basic, C, ...

(English not listed)

commented: LOL +36
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.