Member Avatar for LastMitch

Hi

When I look at my own profile. I notice this big change on top of my profile.

How Experienced is the Community?

What is the purpose of the "Endorse"?

It's like you asking members to vote who's who or who's the best!

I can't think of any reason why you would want to do this?

When I think of it you want to get members to interact more?

So you think a voting system would be the best solution?

I can see alot of bribery giving rep points for no reason.

Moderator will be like politician accepting rep points for exhange giving out answer to members.

Favoritism will come to mind.

It's a lot drama.

Recommended Answers

All 57 Replies

I'd like to know more too before I start clicking something I may not be able to undo.

You can undo it, no worries. ;)

commented: Figured it out after posting. +0

How come specific people show up, my results show 3 different people compared to yours? Is it comparing based on your post count or something else? But this is very interesting at the same time and I wonder what it's for still...

It's a new feature that I'm rolling out slowly. The idea is to first get the first impressions and community reaction to it, and then, over time, build upon it in a way that is most beneficial.

The next step is for the bottom of forum listings to show the top members who have received the most endorsements in that section.

Currently we allow people to vote and give reputation points whether they like or dislike a post for any reason. This is meant to go hand-in-hand with the question I asked in the other thread about whether people have made any professional connections on DaniWeb. The idea is for it to be more of a true measure of how much the community endorses a member's expertise in a particular subject area ... versus reputation which is much more subjective based on if a member is personally likeable or rubs you the wrong way or not.

Here's the other part of it to come ...

Back when we were in the old vBulletin forum system, there was a vB feature where members could "friend" other members, who would show up in their member profile. However, beyond that, there really was no point to members friending members.

The goal here was to build upon that idea of creating networks of members within their profiles, but in a way that had value. There will most likely be a column in member profiles that lists the member's you've endorsed.

The endorsement suggestions on member profile pages are custom to the individual members. It gives you recommendations based on your personal activity, and hopefully the suggestions it gives make sense to you. Otherwise, you're free to just click on the Skill Endorsement tab in a member profile to endorse a member.

So how are the people chosen? I keep getting LastMitch, Pritaeas (sorry if I spelled your name wrong if you are reading this Pritaeas), JorgeM, and Ips... though I don't see them in the same placement, I am curious on how each person is chosen to be endorsed... and I have not seen my name yet :{

Dani, here is another bunny for you :)

(\/)
( '.')
c('')('')

I don't think you will see your own name. It would t make sense to endorse yourself.

I see that the list changes each time you click on your profile and whenever you refresh the browser when it's already in your profile. Wouldn't it be easier to just give us a complete list and let us check the members we want to entorse? Or is the complete list all 1,000,000 DaniWeb members?

The list probably contains the recent active members or members with high amount of posts/ reputation/solved threads from the forum your most active with

@Dani

Currently we allow people to vote and give reputation points whether they like or dislike a post for any reason.

I agree with you with that it's not much you can do about it.

This is meant to go hand-in-hand with the question I asked in the other thread about whether people have made any professional connections on DaniWeb.

So you do want to have members to members have professinal connections on Daniweb? Meaning doing business? That is your goal?

The idea is for it to be more of a true measure of how much the community endorses a member's expertise in a particular subject area ... versus reputation which is much more subjective based on if a member is personally likeable or rubs you the wrong way or not.

You know it would be very hard for members who has been with you for a long time to adjusted by endorsing another members for their expertise. I'm haven't been on Daniweb long enough to really answer this question.

The goal here was to build upon that idea of creating networks of members within their profiles, but in a way that had value. There will most likely be a column in member profiles that lists the member's you've endorsed.

I think the only issue comes up is the Trust & Honesty. I feel you are very eager to make this change happend quickly or instant.

It's hard to make a community endorse a member on their expertise without actually making or doing business on Daniweb.

For example:

Daniweb 1 is doing business with Daniweb 2.

Daniweb 1 asking Daniweb 2 to write a code or create a website.

Daniweb 2 finish the job and Daniweb 1 is happy with Daniweb 2 work and expertise.

Then Daniweb 2 can endorse Daniweb 1 work ethic and expertise on the profile.

In the end, it will be Daniweb 2 business company endorsing Daniweb 1 member.

On the flip side it can go bad. For now focus on the positive.

Then Daniweb community endorsement would make an impact on a member expertise and it will make more sense and a lot happy Daniweb member would love this.

If you really want this to happend then I think it will work but that Trust & Honesty is the only way that is blocking this goal

Wouldn't it be easier to just give us a complete list and let us check the members we want to entorse? Or is the complete list all 1,000,000 DaniWeb members?

The list is potentially infinitely long and constantly changing, evolving as you interact on the site.

The list probably contains the recent active members or members with high amount of posts/ reputation/solved threads from the forum your most active with

It's a little more complex than that. It attempts to seek out members of the community that you have interacted with.

It's hard to make a community endorse a member on their expertise without actually making or doing business on Daniweb.

If you have a tough questions that you keep posting, and someone in the community keeps answering you, then you can endorse their knowledge on the subject. IMHO it goes above and beyond just giving them a +1 or community reputation points for their post.

Also, based on the way the system has been designed, it offers you more suggestions as to whom to endorse if you are more of the question asker versus the question answerer. As you can imagine, being the person asking for help from others puts you into a better position to come into contact with and endorse the skillset of those coming to your aid.

As Ancient Dragon said... wouldn't it be easier to pick for the person you want to pick rather than those that are selected for you and you pick your favorite out of those 3?

But as Dani said, if there is someone you want to endorse, you can just go to his/her profile, go to the "Skills Endorsements" tab and clik on the big button to endorse that member. I think that's easy enough, and practical.

@Dani

If you have a tough questions that you keep posting, and someone in the community keeps answering you, then you can endorse their knowledge on the subject. IMHO it goes above and beyond just giving them a +1 or community reputation points for their post.

I have feeling you want to get rid of the reputation points. You want to used this system instead.

Also, based on the way the system has been designed, it offers you more suggestions as to whom to endorse if you are more of the question asker versus the question answerer. As you can imagine, being the person asking for help from others puts you into a better position to come into contact with and endorse the skillset of those coming to your aid.

I'm not a expertise in PHP but I'm learning. I do ask a lot of questions and also get answers.

You mention alot things and explaining at the same time.

In the long run what is the goal of this system?

There's a reason for you creating this. It seems you have so much faith in this change.

What you mention above is short term goal but in the long term goal it will change.

I hope you notice I did endorse for your experience in Marketing. In the future I will hire you as consultant. Most likely your fee will be around $50,000.

commented: i agree +0
commented: To Rectify what some retard did to LastMitch +0
Member Avatar for diafol

Thanks for the endorsements guys! I can imagine that this will be useful for some. Strange that the guys listed for me to endorse aren't the ones that have helped me particularly. There's one guy on the php forum (to remain nameless, starting with 'p') that hasn't appeared. So is the system geared towards 'solved threads' or mere 'we posted to the same threads'? Just curious.

wouldn't it be easier to pick for the person you want to pick

From what I see this is possible. Just go to that person's profile, click the endorsement tab, and click "me?"

Member Avatar for diafol

From what I see this is possible. Just go to that person's profile, click the endorsement tab, and click "me?"

Agree, but it's tricky to find members sometimes. I don't know if there's an easier way, but I had to go to the members link at the top of the page and then click the link at the bottom of the resulting page:

http://www.daniweb.com/search/members

Alternatively go to the Top Stats - if they're there that is. Yes, I know you can click on them in the threads too.

Umm... isn't that link on every page?

Member Avatar for diafol

Yes you're right p. Never noticed it before. It must have been too big. :) Is it visible to everybody or just mods?

It says "moderation tools" in front... Not quite awake yet? ;)

@Dani: I'm wondering whether you should change "Endorse" into "Yes". My english is pretty decent, but I had to think twice what you meant. Am sure it's a lot harder for many others. Am quite positive it would increase usage.

Member Avatar for diafol

It says "moderation tools" in front... Not quite awake yet? ;)

I got that. I'm daft, but not that daft! :) Just wondering if there was a 'find members' link there instead of the mod tools in 'regular member view'.

@Dani: I'm wondering whether you should change "Endorse" into "Yes". My english is pretty decent, but I had to think twice what you meant. Am sure it's a lot harder for many others. Am quite positive it would increase usage.

Agree with you here, a lot simpler to understand.

I've clicked on my profile about 10 times in last minute now to see names, only problem being most are asking about the vb.net forum and I've not been active in there in over two years :)

The link to search for members is on every page for moderators only.

Member Avatar for diafol

The link to search for members is on every page for moderators only.

Thank you. Just wondering how 'easy' it is for non-mods to endorse somebody not in the 'suggestions' list. Great feature btw.

@Ralph1992, When you joined DaniWeb you accepted the Terms of Service in which it states:

Posting Posts contributed to the community immediately become the property of DaniWeb upon submission. Members may edit their posts for a limited time period immediately after, for the purpose of correcting spelling and grammar mistakes and accidental ommissions. After this initial period expires, posts may only be edited or deleted by DaniWeb team members, and only in cases where they do not comply with our forum rules for the purpose of making said content comply with all rules. As a discussion community, posts contributed by many members work together to form coherent discussions. Altering or deleting individual posts may have consequences that unfairly extend to other members of the community. All members are held responsible for their actions. As always, think before you permanently post something on the public Internet.

Therefore the action you request is very unlikely as it breaks up the entire thread, most code help forums operate in a similar fashion. For example when I was help with code I generally modify it to remove sensitive sections of the code and information it reveals.

Just wondering how 'easy' it is for non-mods to endorse somebody not in the 'suggestions' list.

Just as easy as it is to endorse anyone else. Just click the member's/mod's avatar then his/her name appears in the list.

@Dani

I can't seem to find that How Experienced is the Community section on top of my Reputation and Posts. I guess you are making changes now? I was searching for members and I was trying to find a way to vote but I can't.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.