Several times today, the page has refreshed by itself while I was entering a post. One time it happened while I was editing a post (the edit box disappeared and the unedited page reappeared). Each time, I lost the text I entered.

GRIMBIMBLES MOOMSNOPS! (An exclamation from an old Pogo comic strip)

I am still experiencing, at random times, the inability to hold down the scroll arrow and scroll the page. There is always a very fast moving ad on the screen at the time.

Salem commented: It is very annoying isn't it. +9

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Are you using a browser that has an AUTO REFRESH option??

Like with my broswer "MyIE2" i can set an auto refresh which will do what your stating..... (I dont use it though)

Good luck!

I have FF 2.0.0.6. I have never seen an auto-refresh function.

It happened just 4 times, all in a 15-minute space. I have never seen it before (or since, as it turned out).

I wonder if it was one of the reboots mentioned in another thread.

Hmmmm very strange!

theres some adware that automaticall controls your browser like refreshing the page and takin you to websites that you dont wana go on!

so scan ya computa :) might work

This refreshing never came back. I think either DaniWeb reset several times while dealing with the DoS attacks that day, or a router somewhere along the way got tangled up and was reset several times, delivering the same page several times.

Anyway, it's gone.

But the no-scroll bug is still there. I can't hold down either scroll arrow and scroll the page while a moving ad is on the page. It scrolls one unit, and stops until I lift the mouse button. Trying again moves me one more scroll unit. As soon as the ad stops moving, I regain control. But there is one ad that never stops moving.

And it happens on only DaniWeb. No other site does this.

Buy yourself a mouse with a scroll wheel.

I have one. It changes the font size. But changing it to scroll doesn't solve this.

This is an error in the DaniWeb interface somewhere. I never see it on any other website except one, and it has the same ads. Using the usual scroll controls does not produce scrolling.

I can't scroll at all, except by pushing the scroll arrow button one scroll unit at a time, click click click, during the period an ad has moving content. As soon as the ad stops moving (if it does), or is off the screen, then I have control.

And when the Hostgator ad is on, I never recover full control until I can scroll it completely off the screen.

I think I know what's happening. The ads run in IFRAMEs so that they don't slow down the pages as much. It's very possible the IFRAME windows have your browser's focus instead of the actual webpage.

Try clicking on a blank area of the website to give it focus before scrolling.

I think I know what's happening. The ads run in IFRAMEs so that they don't slow down the pages as much. It's very possible the IFRAME windows have your browser's focus instead of the actual webpage.

Try clicking on a blank area of the website to give it focus before scrolling.

I just tried this. It doesn't work - I still can't scroll until the ad stops constructing itself.

I get control once the download bar is gone with the IT Professional Lounge ad. But right now, I am not seeing any other ads. I'll have to try again next thursday (the next time I have some time).

I have now discovered other websites which do the same thing. The ads repeatedly but momentarily take away cursor control until the animation of the ad finishes downloading. Some take away control in this fashion until the animation stops playing.

So it's the ads, not DaniWeb.

The BBS systems I use which don't exhibit this trouble don't allow moving ads (just .jpg images).

The reloading happened only 4 times in that one burst. I now believe that it was either trouble at my ISP, or trouble due to the DoS attacks.

I'm marking this solved.

>I'm marking this solved.
Thank goodness.

I'm marking this solved.

Thank goodness,im glad ya got things figured out :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.