I get error after changing url on wordpress setting page.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi and welcome to DaniWeb. What setting did you change? Why did you change it? What are you hoping to accomplish?

Ugh! I've done that, and it broke everything!

This reply may be a bit too late, and you may have figured it out already.

I'm going to assume that you changed the WordPress Address (URL) or the Site Address (URL), and after updating it, you can no longer access WP Admin. If that's the case, rproffitt's suggestion makes sense. However, your frustration may be that you can't change it back because you can no longer access the settings page.

The fix is relatively easy if you have access to your WordPress database (e.g., via phpMyAdmin). This fix assumes that you know how to use phpMyAdmin or other database management applications.

First, look for your WordPress database. Then, look for the options table. If you changed your table prefix (you should!) it would be [your_prefix]_options. Otherwise, it is wp_options.

Depending on what URL you changed, you will see the following options:

option_id   option_name   option_value            autoload
1           siteurl       <your site's URL>       yes

or, if your site's home page is different from your WordPress installation directory:

option_id   option_name   option_value            autoload
1           siteurl       <your site's URL>       yes
2           home          <your site's home URL>  yes

Finally, edit the option you changed and change it back to the "working" value. You should now have access to your WP Admin area again.

Good luck!

This is likely due to a change in your Permalink Settings. To fix this you will need to go to the Settings page in WordPress and select the Permalinks option, then select one of the pre-options and save the changes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.