I am new in IT world and I was wondering the difference between a web designer and a web developer?

Honestly, they sounds the same to me. However, I see a lot of postings with these two position.

will someone explain to me the difference and could you tell me the average pay for each if they are different?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Web designers make all the pretty little pictures and layout for the website. They specialize in graphics and UI design.

Web developers make the site actually do something. They specialize in writing the code that makes websites.

IMHO, YMMV, VWP.

[i've had jobs as both... web developers ftw!] ^_- haha

The salary side will depend in which country you are, what experience level you have in certain fields etc.

You must be looking for something that pays more with little to no work, right ?

Designer, The person who designs the layout of websites and application user interfaces

Developer, Here, there is so much to represent, for some people, dhtml and css and a bit of js(or jquery) is enough for a developer, and for some people it extends to huge knowledge of javascript, ajax, python, php, asp and .net... blah blah blah sometimes it goes to .Jsp (Ftw!!)

This industry, you always need to move and keep on learning.

I am new in IT world and I was wondering the difference between a web designer and a web developer?

Honestly, they sounds the same to me. However, I see a lot of postings with these two position.

will someone explain to me the difference and could you tell me the average pay for each if they are different?

while browsing I came across an article which clearly tells about the difference between web developer and web designer
http://ezinearticles.com/?Difference-Between-Web-Designer-and-Web-Developer&id=4745175

commented: Nice link, thanks. +0

while browsing I came across an article which clearly tells about the difference between web developer and web designer
http://ezinearticles.com/?Difference-Between-Web-Designer-and-Web-Developer&id=4745175

Think this is a good reference to explain the difference bet the designer and developer.
In the beginning, developer and designer for me are the same thing. after reading the ref. article, it gave me a great realization that these two are different but these two should be a good combination in making a good website.
Thanks!! How do i give points?

commented: Add points like this. +0

Have a look to the right of the poster you want to give rep points to. There are two arrows, one up, one down with a "0" in between. Click the up arrow to give the poster positive points and the down arrow for negative points.:)

Web designers and developers are two aspects of same work .To makes a website more creative and functional rich ,Both are creatives and logical.If talking about much Web designers are more crative and developers are more logiacal buth that's not the diffrence as Creativity is need with developers too .For more good diffrence on technical and non technical aspects follow my blog <snip>

A web designer is a graphic artist who is responsible for designing the layout, usability, and visual appearance of a website. A web developer is someone who builds and maintains the core structure of a website. A successful web designer must possess an array of creative, graphic, and technical skills.

commented: Please do not reply to long-dead threads like this one. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.