Hi,

Can any one please guide me abt the following definitions of "Computer" & "Computer Science"

Computer is a device which can process given data according to the given instructions to produce meaningful information.

Computer science (or computing science) is the study of:

• Problems.
  • Solution of those problems using computer systems.
  • Expressing new ideas that can make people’s work fast,reliable and easy.

Here the example can be:

Medicine and biology, which use computer models to diagnose and treat disease,so the need of faster diagnose leads to the development of such a program which can give results according to the symptoms of patient and also suggests the solution.

Thanks & Regards,

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What part of those definitions are giving you problems?

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to ask that if theres any mistake in those definitions then please let me know.

Regards,

Computer is a device which can process given data according to the given instructions to produce meaningful information.

The last part of that is not necessarily the case. Consider a heart pacemaker or the ignition control in your car. We could quibble on whether controlling a mechanical process is producing information, meaningful or otherwise.

Your computer science definition is more a collection of examples. From Wikipedia, this definition is more general

Computer science (or computing science) is the study and the science of the theoretical foundations of information and computation and their implementation and application in computer systems

So, the definitions you gave are neither incorrect nor bad, just expressed a bit differently than some might give them.

Please tell about controlling a mechanical process?

Member Avatar for Epic Tissue

Ah I always hate when people say "What's computer science?".

From dictionary.com: the science that deals with the theory and methods of processing information in digital computers, the design of computer hardware and software, and the applications of computers.

Ah I always hate when people say "What's computer science?".

From dictionary.com: the science that deals with the theory and methods of processing information in digital computers, the design of computer hardware and software, and the applications of computers.

Thanks for your reply and consideration.

I am almost done with my associates in (computer science) and my classes are, visual basic, advanced visual,network design and documentation,cabling,cisco networking,advanced cisco,cisco switches,cisco wan,windows server,win dir server,linux system admin,network and cert,novell network admin,network security,telecommunications,pc support , intro to phycology,comp 1,math for liberal arts,micro computer,,,,,but this specific degree in in the networking field !!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.