Case: SILVERSTONE TJ-03 $273.99

Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-S12-800 120MM $19.50 each

MotherBoard:EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR$249.99

Memory: Crucial Technology Ballistix 2GB $ 309.99

Power Supply: XION Supernova XON-600R14-201 ATX 600W $109.99

Procesor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz $966.99

I'm going to use my GeForce 7800 GT that I already have so no need to buy another GFX card.

Can you guys tell me what parts you would replace for better quality hardware at around the same price? I'm especialy fond of the case so please don't blow me off on that one. Kind of looking at changing the procesor, so all suggestions are open. Also please don't comment on my budget telling me that hardware will get super cheap later on, im just a little techy kid that can't stand having anything but "near-the-best.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Uhhh, what happened to the HTML?

EDIT: Never Mind convert to BB

I would change the processor to the e6400 and just overclock it has been stable at 3.0Ghz on my system, and use the extra cash to get a xfx geforce 7900 gtx gfxs card and the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mobo is great for around the same price as the one you're thinking about. I'm assuming that this is a gaming rig right?? Anyway good luck.

Case: SILVERSTONE TJ-03 $273.99

Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-S12-800 120MM $19.50 each

MotherBoard:EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR$249.99

Memory: Crucial Technology Ballistix 2GB $ 309.99

Power Supply:
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W
$124.99

Procesor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz $966.99

GFX Card: My current EvGa GeForce 7800 GT

Still looking for a motherboard and procesor.
The Mobo [you] suggested doesn't really suit my fancy as mine has the 3 x16 PCI-E ports that I want. Any other suggestions welcome though, make sure they support Intel Dual Core and Extreme. Procesor is going to be one of the last things I buy seing as how they are always dropping in price over time, so I can think about this one for a bit. Changed the Power Supply to something that actualy fits into my case.

Can anyone comment on the noise levels for the Extreme 2 processors from Intel? I want my system to be silent if not fairly quiet.

So far I found these parts to suit my needs perfectly silent but powerful:
Fans
Power Supply
Case

i dont know if these sites ship to the us (im from the uk)
but i love to get my componets from www.novatech.com

my newest box is here: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BB-X2MDB

they have components or you can do what i did which is buy a "barebones" kit - RAM, CPU, Case all assembled for you

An AMD X2 4200 DualCore with 1gb of 667mhz DDR2 and an nForce Hyper 570 mobo (2x PCIx 16 slots) costs less than £386.57 there inc. VAT

i dont know if these sites ship to the us (im from the uk)
but i love to get my componets from www.novatech.com

my newest box is here: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BB-X2MDB

they have components or you can do what i did which is buy a "barebones" kit - RAM, CPU, Case all assembled for you

An AMD X2 4200 DualCore with 1gb of 667mhz DDR2 and an nForce Hyper 570 mobo (2x PCIx 16 slots) costs less than £386.57 there inc. VAT

Woops, I already ordered the case last night from directron. Got a sweet deal for it too. $261.00 no tax and free 7 day shipping. Cheaper than newegg so I saved a few bucks. Hope nothing is damaged.

You havn't mentioned hard drives but with the mobo you're going with i'd recommend a dual sata raid 1 configuration with read ahead and write back caching enabled,or a raid 0+1 if you can afford 4 HD's

A sata raid 1 with read ahead and write back should increase speeds from around 120mbt/s to around 180 or so and the HD is usually the worst bottleneck

You havn't mentioned hard drives but with the mobo you're going with i'd recommend a dual sata raid 1 configuration with read ahead and write back caching enabled,or a raid 0+1 if you can afford 4 HD's

A sata raid 1 with read ahead and write back should increase speeds from around 120mbt/s to around 180 or so and the HD is usually the worst bottleneck

Not really looking into getting into the nitty gritty specifics of Raid, mine has a sub-par controller built into it that is fine for the uses I'm thinking about.

Getting a Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD and probably about a 100 GB HD for mainly backup purposes of important files just in case one of the HD's gets drained (nightmate #2 son drops magnet on computer). Not to say I won't utilize it.

Any other suggestions on HD's, again not really wanting to go into raid stuff.

Is SATA RAID better than Ultra-Wide SCSI RAID?

I have a 200gb seagate baracudda (old i think, scsi model) and its ecellent

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.