I have an MS Access databse which supports a machine health monitoring application. I have the database schema but very little other documentation on how it has been constructed, very little support resource inside our own company to do any new development.
An important client has requested we provide a browsable HTML interface over a corporate intranet. We are considering using PC Anywhere, GOTOMY PC or a similar remote desktop but I am anticipating that this will not sit comfortably with the IT police on this site.
Is there anyone in the Daniweb community who can suggest an alternative solution and help me meet the requirement?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I may very well be just missing the bigger picture here but what is a remote desktop type interface going to help with in this case?

You could create some Web content to interact with the Access file but it would require the use of a language such as ASP, rather than just HTML.

Bill

Bill
Thanks for response, I am no expert in this field hence reason for looking for help.
I was thinking that remote desktop from one PC would access the screen displays of the Access application as if I was sitting at the Access terminal?
problem with this is only single user.
I had further feedback and the line we are going down is an Apache server and Jave code., but Im way out of my depth now.

Laurie

Go to PHP gys in PHP forum. There are google video on issue just find them!
BTW good place to get answers is PHP forum!

Steve

Hi Laurie,

No matter, really, which language your developer uses to interact with the Access file as long as it work properly to meet your needs. If your developer knows enough to want to use Java within an Apache environment, it sounds like you'll end up being in good shape when it's finished. :-)

Bill

You used to be able to make such pages using wizards in Access but it was removed in Access 2007.

so how do you do it in Access 2003, which wizard does it ?

on the left where there is tables, forms, queries etc... choose pages

i just accept by the Twintech college as a labrian, they ask me to create a database for the labrary, i already finish the database (using Access 2003), now i want to create the interface using HTML but i dont know how to connect the HTML to the database.

i just accept by the Twintech college as a labrian, they ask me to create a database for the labrary, i already finish the database (using Access 2003), now i want to create the interface using HTML but i dont know how to connect the HTML to the database.

Firts you have to know that HTML is *NOT* a language so you cannot definitely connect to database via HTML. It is a markup language with which you can only make UI (Tables, forms et al) No More. You need full fledged language like PHP, ASP,JSP etc.

I advice you go for PHP, learn it and do your job. I suggest PHP with SQLite or MySQL depending on whether you need server/embeded DB app.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/
http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

EDIT: and start new threads instead of posting on eons old threads

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.