Seems like a good cause, when I get my new comp (few months at the earliest lol) I'll look into it. It's on pretty much 24/7 except for the occasional re-boot, but it's doing "other" processes at the moment heh.

OK, count me in.

I have been processing units for team 0 (Default) username 'switch' for some time. I have now joined the DaniWeb Folders team. It has reset my work unit count back to zero though :( oh well.

cscgal, DefDog will get that number one spot if you don't start folding again ... Date of last work unit 2005-04-28 00:11:08

:)

I believe that the rankings are done by score instead of work unit count alone because some work units are much larger than others (> 5MB). These work units take much more RAM and time to crunch. So you get a higher score for processing them so that you are not penalised on a lower work unit count. You can specifically request work units > 5MB in the options. Beware that they can consume 100 +/- MB of RAM though.

Im in! I am at 40 000 of 2 000 000 steps done in 40 mins :eek: at this pace it will be done in over 30 hours!! Im using my 1.4ghz centrino laptop w/ 512mb. Dont wanna try it with my 3.4ghz now cuz my pc heats my room a lot when it is on and the temperature is over 85 deg far outside. Maybe when the temp will fall. ;)

Man, that was long, it finished sometime during the night about 7 hours ago!

Im back on the team, now that I have awesome rig!

you guys still folding

Sheesh oviously, This post is only a week old :P, anyway 2 folding clients on my Duel AMD 64 and also folding on my 2800+

you guys still folding

And Gals :P

Glad to have you on board, there are only 9 active CPUs at the mo and 4 of those are between Ballin and myself :( Who is also about to overtake me :/ Good for you.

woohoo 1 WU in less then a day !

Not a very big one though, only worth 69

how much of a work load is folding@home for your cpu?

how much of a work load is folding@home for your cpu?

It will take whatever amount of 'Free'/'Idle' CPU time your system has. If your system is using 5% CPU Folding@Home will take the remaining 95, if your system is using 70% CPU Folding@Home will take 30. Your system will always be running at 100% CPU load.

But Folding@Home will defer to your requirments. For example if you start to play a game (or something else which needs all you CPU time) Folding@Work will stop doing any work.

Is that what you were asking?

Im starting to catch up :D, i feel spesh

I would like to continu but the extreme heat we're having here are unbearable (very close to 110 deg F with Humidity factor). If I let my PCs on it gets way too hot and I dont have air conditioning. :(

Aw, thank you Kate, that explains a little why my cpu is running so hot.

Is anybody else having problems getting new Work Units from Stanford? It seems every other day or so it has to try many times to get a new WU for me. It is quite annoying.

Hi all i dont post much on webistes or anything but wanted to say hi.

I was doing a google on an error i was having and I got the Folding website hehe it sounded good so I started it

I'm in!!! I think it would be nice if someone could creat a good logo for all daniweb team members to put on. I would but I'm not the worlds best graphic designer. But i'm sure someone on here is very good. Please can you start posting your logos so we can all have one?

Sorry to point this out, but you've got a long way to go against The CBoarders, the other team that I'm watching . . . the're in the top 1%. But keep going!

[edit]
Team number: 43476
[/edit]

Just joined today, lets see what my hyperthreaded 3.06 MHz can do....;)

GO DaniWEB WOOT WOOT!!!

I used to do this for team engadget. I got ranked around 800 before i stopped. I couldnt bear the heat my processor was taking. I would love to start up again, (for the good guys of course), but with the summer months here its too dang hot already. I dont need a heater going too...

By the way, migsoft, with your ht processor, (i have one too), folding at home will only utalize one of your virtual cores unless you run 2 instances of folding at home from the command prompt. You cant use the gui version if you want both parts utalized. You can google for further instructions, othewise you will just be utalizing effectivily 50% of your processor.

I started this morning on two machines ... a first generation Intel 3 ghz (400 mhz bus) and a dualie mac G5 ... my mac finished a work unit in a little under 12 hours and my Intel is still chugging away. Macs are good number crunchers I guess :)

But in any case, welcome to the team, Alex! :)

hey dani,

is it possible then to have the same username for different computers?

darren

It definitely is. In fact, on multiprocessor machines, it is possible to run a different instance for each CPU simultaneously.

It definitely is. In fact, on multiprocessor machines, it is possible to run a different instance for each CPU simultaneously.

so i could have different computers, with the same username - thats pretty cool, cheers dani! :lol::)

You could even run two instances on one computer simultaneously with different usernames for each. :)

Sounds like a worthy cause :)

update, have now stopped it on my laptop as i wasnt keen on it running so hot! however im going to start jumping on other peoples workstations and putting it on there :d

Sorry to point this out, but you've got a long way to go against The CBoarders, the other team that I'm watching . . . the're in the top 1%. But keep going!

[edit]
Team number: 43476
[/edit]

That's because CBoard is better than DaniWeb :cheesy:. No offense, but seriously, I like the fact that everyone answers questions very quickly, mostly due to the fact that it doesn't have nearly as many forums as DaniWeb.

so? daniweb rocks man :d

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.