Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by ahihihi...
Featured Replies

[QUOTE=Ancient Dragon;877799] I do find it strange that the newspapers in UK keep referring to her as a virgin :) Do they think she's the Virgin Mary or something?[/QUOTE] We will know for sure when her image begins to appear on [URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4034787.stm"]toast[/URL] Read More

I didn't ugh at first because of her appearance.
Her gyrating hips and saucy other side of me comment
was a turn off. I think that's what a lot of the audience
reacted to.

I feel even is Ms Boyle was voted most beautiful woman in the world,
her voice would still have been a genuine pleasant surprise.
Her voice is one of those very special voices that
rises above the very best, like Elvis and Pavarotti...very special.

Sorry...that should read her voice is in the same class as Elvis and Pavarotti

Truly inspiring! In the movie, Simon will take her glasses off, let her hair down and she will be suddenly gorgeous.

She is the equivalent of Aretha Franklin - the voice overcomes all.

i dont think she made a fool of ol' whats-his-nuts. that guy's a jackass anyhow.

but she did kind of turn people off at the beginning.

however i'm sure it's because she's been made fun and marginalized, having to perform in low-class dives ... that's her defense mechanism to not be overwhelmed by fear and insecurity

good for her. it's a moving story.

Small update -- that youtube now has over 100 Million hits! I just listened to it again as well as the song she sang in the semi-finals. Now she's off to the finals and most likely will win it also.

I'm going to be one of the first people to buy her album when it's released, and I hope its sooner rather than later. I hope that dear lady gets everything she deserves.

I do find it strange that the newspapers in UK keep referring to her as a virgin :) Do they think she's the Virgin Mary or something?

I do find it strange that the newspapers in UK keep referring to her as a virgin :) Do they think she's the Virgin Mary or something?

how creepy

We will know for sure when her image begins to appear on toast

Votes + Comments
hehe!

If she was good loking then noone would think she was special. Why doeas a ugly person with a talent get so much attention?

Votes + Comments
go be shallow somewhere else

If she was good loking then noone would think she was special. Why doeas a ugly person with a talent get so much attention?

Because it's unusual to see these days :P

Who said she is ugly? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are been several similar stars -- such as Jim Nabors who played the sitcom character Gomer Pile in 1969.

i wouldnt say either of those two examples ^,^^ were ever considered ugly. Jim Neighbors i think was generally regarded as fairly handsome, if in a slightly goofy way. He exaggerated the goofiness cariacature for his highly popular TV character. For Aretha, R&B and Soul has always had a number of "non-traditional" looking performers. and i'd still never say she was ugly.

and most importantly, IMO, is the nature of fame and media and marketing has changed *dramatically* since the 1960's.

speaking just in my American experience, our entire *culture* has shifted greatly since then, regarding the relative importance we place on superficial appearances.

... all that being said, when the Scots are ugly, they don't mess around. :-O

I heard she was eliminated from the competition already.. Because of that, she was hospitalized as she fainted.. I hope she will still make an album.. Oh, know what.. When she mentioned that she was never been kissed, she mentioned in an interview that that was a joke.. Nonetheless, I still believe she has a good heart.. :)

I heard she was eliminated from the competition already..

already?? She was 2nd place in the contest, which is now finished. She didn't faint because of that, she had a nervous breakdown because she couldn't take all the pressure of the public life she had acquired. Its the case of "be careful what you wish for" -- she wanted to be a star but I doubt she knew what she was getting herself into.

isn't it always the 2nd Place winners who wind up being the commercial successes in these sorts of things?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.