Which Computer Language would you like to know more about, or even start to learn?

Recommended Answers

All 61 Replies

ATS

I've never really got the hang of Assembly language, knowing that would be nice, can't be bothered though.

I voted for C++.
cos we can found it in at most of every hardware/software plactform.
and it's the most productive programming language. and I'm still
learning C++. And C++ is very rich programming language because of
the libraries that available for the developer at no cost ( open source).

Hey plz add .Net and Visual basic 6

I voted for C++.
It is the most common one imo.

If I didn't already know C++, I would have picked that. I picked Java, because I think it's a powerful language considering it doesn't run directly from the OS, and it would be easier to make online games/apps with. I've actually tried getting into it once, but for some reason struggled to get everything started (even with the help of a friend who knew what he was doing), so I left it.

Seem's like I'll be obligated into learning Visual Basic next in my computing class though, that will be boring (nobody in my class has programmed before :\).

Honestly Java's obsolete; you should just use Scala or Clojure.

From the list I would say Java as it is so easy to use with the Netbeans compiler. But my favourite which isn't on the list is php/php-gtk.

commented: Netbeans is not a "java compiler". It's an IDE +0

I'd like to learn electronics more. So that my programs are all just a series of resistor-transistor logic gates, and other low-level awesomeness.

Then I'd like to learn chemistry and physics better. So that I could develop functions on a picometre level.

I'd like to learn electronics more. So that my programs are all just a series of resistor-transistor logic gates, and other low-level awesomeness.

Reminds me of this hard-wired (addition) calculator I made once in a systems class, guess I skipped ahead a bit. [link]

From the list I would say Java as it is so easy to use with the Netbeans compiler. But my favourite which isn't on the list is php/php-gtk.

I think the pole is limited to 10 items, so it's always good to have other. Solving science and engineering problems, to me at least, is easiest with Python.

Java, I vote this one!

hay MosaicFuneral , let's be more specific right , you can use only
logic gates , then you already know what I talking about ...
yeah that's VHDL right !so you're interested programming language
is VHDL , my fathers is a expert on this , he is a VLSI ex-engineer.
anyway I hate this I love C++ also C and linux kernel.You may be
interested on this project I guess ,
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~ianbuck/proj/Nintendo/
here is a project that designs a simple game console using
VHDL. My father force me to read this for sad anyway :( , but
I love what naru love C/C++.

Reminds me of this hard-wired (addition) calculator I made once in a systems class, guess I skipped ahead a bit. [link]

you don't need to hard wire it. There are VHDL simulators for this.
VHDL is a programming language. my above links contains a tutorial
that designs a complete NES hardware including 6025 processor
+ graphics hardware etc... have fun.

and there are FPGA like chips which you can implement the hardware without even knowing about that
complex chemical process. Design a IC is a simple thing in today's world.IC's are no longer made , they
are programmed !

you don't need to hard wire it.

Don't you think I know that? :icon_neutral:
The point is, I can hard wire it.

The best kind of learning is learning by doing, or as more educated folks have said, "the maximal level of performance for individuals in a given domain is not attained automatically as a function of extended experience, but the level of performance can be increased even by highly experienced individuals as a result of deliberate efforts to improve."

commented: Sounds like a Jedi quotation. Use the pointer Luke! +0

Java here!

I voted C++ and Java, and the poll results show it seems that most people share the roughly same idea with me!

I like C#, but like to know more about IronPython that feeds into C#.

like to know more about IronPython that feeds into C#.

First of all, That's what she said. :)
But seriously, I'd like to know more about python. I touched on it very breifly in my first semester of college but never came back to it. The class was an intro to programming class, so pretty much all we did was learn about loops and other very basic stuff. :D

I had Python in high school, it is a nice language for beginners.

Fortran, COBOL or ADA

I see a lot of jobs wanting developers with experience with these (seemingly obsolete?) languages.

Fortran, COBOL or ADA

I see a lot of jobs wanting developers with experience with these (seemingly obsolete?) languages.

Jobs yes, jobs with a future no.

..php and other web languages would be cool to look at for getting a good grasp on networking. I'd love to have a proper go at some assembly as well just for the sheer geek factor :)

Hey plz add .Net and Visual basic 6

Those are not computer languages. .NET is part of the Windows operating system, and VB6 is a compiler.

Those are not computer languages. .NET is part of the Windows operating system, and VB6 is a compiler.

But doesn't visual basic have it's own language called visual basic?

But doesn't visual basic have it's own language called visual basic?

It would be part of Basic in the poll.

It would be part of Basic in the poll.

Yes i understand that ...I voted for Basic ..

I had Python in high school, it is a nice language for beginners.

I wish I had a programming class in high school.
I was so unprepared for college programming. :(
But I guess I picked it up pretty quickly. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.