This software based transmitter forces your computer to send a signal to our Control Center each time it connects to a telephone line and/or the Internet. A signal is sent every time the user reboots the computer, logs the computer off and back on and/or when the IP changes. Each signal contains the telephone number and or IP address used by the computer at the time the signal was sent. With your account and password you can log onto the Control Center and view your computers signal activity. You can also change your settings and report the computer stolen from the same Control Center.

Delete files remotely. You can delete files no matter where your computers travel. Once you have sent instructions for a specific file or group of files to be deleted,

only $49 annually:D

Do you know of any other services to compare this one to?

http://www.stealthsignal.com/www/index.asp?var_site=0&var_page=p_computertracker&var_lang=en&var_tpl=&var_country=us&key=010%2F2%2F2005+9%3A06%3A38+PM

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

that seems a good price especially if your laptop costs like 2 grand!

Yes this seems to be a good VFM item.

A good system lockdown, means they would never access your files anyway. Any theif would no doubt wipe your HDD (unless you set a full system bios password :D ).

(unless you set a full system bios password :D ).

Which they would then remove using either one of the freely available freeware tools, resetting the cmos, or by removing the cmos battery...
Which in it's turn would probably prevent the tracing software from working, so you're no better off than before... :cheesy:

Thats a great piece of software but if you get the laptop, that is all the thief wants not your files so he/she could just wipe your hard disk and install new stuff.

But for a price like that it is probably worth it. Does anyone know whether it is available in the UK?

Which they would then remove using either one of the freely available freeware tools, resetting the cmos, or by removing the cmos battery...
Which in it's turn would probably prevent the tracing software from working, so you're no better off than before... :cheesy:

Maybe, but even then, when used correctly, Windows XP (Pro of course, not crappy Home) is the most Secure Desktop OS available. It's just sad that to make it secure, isn't easy, and I guess without that knowledge, like a Firewall, this stuff is worth its price tag.

What stops them browsing your files locally before reformatting? That way it never sends a signal to it's control center, and as I see it you waste your subscription...
The whole system seems to me to be based on the flawed asumption that the first thing a thief will do is connect to the internet...

Or is there something I've missed in the description?

I't might create a hidden partion if it is any good?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.